Help! Multiple ailments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a month ago upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 30 gallon. A week after the fish were transferred and all seemed well we went and bought 2 angelfish, another loach, and a bala shark. The original occupants are 2 platies, 2 small Plecos, a little catfish, and a loach. Oh and 3 tetras. A couple days after we noticed the angelfish had a fungus so we treated the whole tank with fungus cure twice and that went away. Right away noticed ich ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390005431.606974.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390005577.097355.jpgon one of the angelfish and spread rapidly to almost all the fish. Started treating right away with rid ich, and slowly raised the temp. Every day when I thought it was better the next day it would be worse again. So I was adding ich cure plus had the temp raised (I know not supposed to do that but wasn't getting anywhere!) so now they still all have a couple spots and now the angel fish that has been causing problems all along seems to maybe have another kind of fungus- a thin cottony film all over him that kind of sloughs away. Pic included. So now I'm like oh great... None of the other fish have that but they all look a bit sad, maybe decreased 02? Have bubbler going. Don't know what to do! Keep treating ich? Use a fungus cure? ( little catfish didn't like that almost died) can't quarantine. Water quality good and doing 20% water changes every 1-2 days. Please help!

Hard to see what's going on on the angel fish, but it's like a thin layer over his body and fins that peels away. Not splotchy like his first fungus was

Woah! First off you are so overstocked! 2 angels! Balas, 2 Pleco's in a 30? Clown loach ????, I can offer you some simple advice, take everything back, cycle your tank and start again;)

What are your current parameters? Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? You could probably do with a couple of large volume water changes twice an day. Id say 50percent twice a day until all signs of illness have cleared up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are your current parameters? Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? You could probably do with a couple of large volume water changes twice an day. Id say 50percent twice a day until all signs of illness have cleared up. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Seriously?

Sorry 40 gallon tank. 40!!
Mehh, still saying way overstocked, balas get huge, like to school, plecos... Yup.. Loach's..clown???seriously(this is still controversial) take everything back but plat's and cycle your tank! It will be the best choice you will have made thus far:)

Ammonia < 0.2 , ph 7.4, no chlorine,low nitrate , temp 86. Let cycle for a week with the bacteria stuff added and water conditioner the. Added water from 10 gallon tank then added old fish

Botia loaches and the Plecos not clown I don't know, they're small ones not clown kind of brownish green with some black dots. Yeah May take mr bala back. What do they do with sick fish if u take them back? Do they kill them or treat them? Bala is actually the only one who hasn't picked up anything

...... 86? For ich?? .2ppm amm? Do a 50% wc than it will be .1, do another 40-50% wc to get it down to zero, than worry about any othe issue in the tank. Hey man, you need to do some research on what exactly you are confining to your not so large aquarium..I'm surprised no one else has jumped in here...

Ammonia < 0.2 , ph 7.4, no chlorine,low nitrate , temp 86. Let cycle for a week with the bacteria stuff added and water conditioner the. Added water from 10 gallon tank then added old fish
Yes your tank is still cycling. Letting the tank sit for a week and only adding a bacteria supplement is not enough to cycle properly. You need an ammonia source which would be straight ammonia or fish waste. Also bacteria gets colonized on the filter and gravel etc. So transferring the water from the old tank probably didnt help much.

You need to change at least 50 percent of the water twice a day to keep that water pristine while cycling until ammonia and nitrItes read zero. You didnt post your nitrite levels?

I would seriously consider rehoming the bala shark. They need schools and get too big for a 40 gallon tank.

What kind of loaches do you have? Clown loaches will eventually outgrow a 40 gallon but they grow slowly. They also need schools but be prepared to rehomed them when they get too big. If you could return a few of the fish and really research each breed before purchasing I think you might find your aquarium keeping a lot more pleasant and avoid a lot of frustration.

I'll get some links to some cycling articles for you to read through. You CAN cycle with fish if done correctly.

If you haven't already, grab a bottle of prime water conditoner. It detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 48 hours. Its great for fish in cycling if you use it with every water change daily to keep the fish from getting ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Also what kind of plecos do you have? Two dwarf species like bristlenose will probably be ok in a 40. I had 3 in my 55 gallon but had to relocate one due to fighting.

What kind of filter do you have?

Yes seriously. Seriously why are you so rude? This attitude is not going to help people... it is only going to chase them away. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I could have been bit less abrasive yes, I was just trying to make the point clear so op didn't have to watch his tank go postal in 3 months when it finally started leveling out..apologies if I offended..

Well the OP hasn't responded so yes it looks like you probably scared them off. Many people honestly are given wrong information about getting started and are given very poor advice from pet stores. They may have told him/her that everything they were doing was fine and even reccomended the meds.

To the OP. I truely hope you stick around so we can help you get through this and you can learn to enjoy this hobby. Illnesses can be avoided my keeping water quality pristine and I would definitely reccomend the beginner to understock to begin with.

I hope not, probably just sleeping in a bit, reading through that rant was probably exhausting. Stick around wolfishy!

I reading through that rant was probably exhausting.
I am sorry you feel as though my advice was a "rant". I think this was very uncalled for. If I in anyway have given any inappropriate advise I would like one of the moderators to please correct me. I think I have been nothing but polite and helpful.

I am sorry you feel as though my advice was a "rant". I think this was very uncalled for. If I in anyway have given any inappropriate advise I would like one of the moderators to please correct me. I think I have been nothing but polite and helpful. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
No no I was referring to my posts! You're spot on!!

Back
Top Bottom