Help my poor plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some java ferns and frog bit on its way and I am hoping I don't kill them! lol does anyone know anything about either of those plants? I just wanted to say thank you all again for all the help! You guys are wonderful!!

In regards to the plant cutting. Cut to the base as far down without touching the roots or new growth. I know about java fern, it's a great beginners plant. Old leaves adjusting to your tank might have black spots grow on them. It's kind of a slow grower and is a rhizome plant. This means the the thicker green base where leaves come out shouldn't be buried. The black roots that come out of it can. People also like to attach the plant to things like rocks or wood. The java fern has also low light requirements. I have no experience with frogbit.

Thank you :) And everywhere I have read about the java fern is that it is not good to plant it and that you should attach it to something but I am not a big fan of attaching plants to things. I don't really like the look of it too much. So would it be okay to plant it as long as the rhizome isnt buried? Will it do well that way?

Yeah. I just let mine float around (long time ago). Eventually it stayed down and the roots themselves dug into the substrate.

I have another question...When I was clippin some of the leaves off I found that the sword is basically splitting I guess? Could I make it into two plants now? Or will it eventually split?

brunettebaby4571 said:
I have another question...When I was clippin some of the leaves off I found that the sword is basically splitting I guess? Could I make it into two plants now? Or will it eventually split?

I would let it be for a bit, but you'll eventually be able to make a new plant with it.

Ok I wasnt sure. It is almost in two new plants now just basically attached together by a few roots. How long should I wait til I try to make two?

Back
Top Bottom