Help my poorly black moor!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nakkita

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My black moor, Pumba is 3 years old and is very poorly. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank with his dorsal fin down and showing less interest in food than usual over the last couple of days.

Yesterday evening I noticed that part of his back fin had begun to rot. I treated the tank straight away with Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria, hoping to see some sort of difference by this morning. There has been no change and he looks very skinny this morning. He also has white/greyish patches on his body which are worrying me.

The tank is 64ltrs with one other fish in there, a very small panda moor which we bought in October. As soon as I noticed Pumba swimming at the bottom of the tank on Saturday (19/12/15) I did a 25% water change. I added pets at home Health Guard as this supposedly helps fish who 'seem unwell' but it made no difference. As mentioned above I added the Interpet treatment last night and it states to add another dose on day 4 which is Thursday (24/12/15). I added some API aquarium salt this morning in the hope that it will boost his recovery. I also tested the water with the API test kit and the parameters are as follows:
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

I know the ammonia and nitrate are high but the Interpet treatment that I put in yesterday said to remove the carbon media from the filter and not to add any more water treatment to the tank within 7 days so I am not entirely sure what to do.

Any help or advice you can give me to save my boy would be much appreciated!!

Nakkita

I simply cannot help you as i dont think they sell any decent antibiotic/meds in the UK or AUS whichever one you live in.

Sounds bacterial or fungal try fungal guard or something like that. I've kept goldfish forever once he stops eating stop dosing because he'll die soon. If he eats continue to battle

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The OP needs a good powerful antibiotic, the only way to get in UK or AUS or some EU countries (the OP said Liters, ovbiously they are not from the us, the only thing i deal with in liters is beer and car engine size lol)
It would not be worth it to take this goldfish to the vet to get a antibiotic, unless you found a cheap vet willing to work with you, and explained the situation
BTW you dont need to combine fungals with antibiotic.
Fungus (water mould) simply cannot live and grow on healthy tissue, it only eats the dead tissue. Even tho tail rot has fungus on it.....something ive learned recently is that if you kill the queen, the ants die....another words stop the bacterial infection, and the fungus will go away on its own. We dont necessarily need to combine the two.
I think Furan 2 is combined with kanamycin to give a more broad spectrum approach, the same way in the old days they combined Methylene blue with tetracycline antibiotics, since Most antibiotics are directed towards specifically Gram + or Gram - and you dont always know what type of bacteria are making your fish's tail rot.
Kanamycin with Furan 2
Minocycline with Erythomycin
Oxytetracycline with M. Blue or by itself (my personal fav, safe powerful and cheap, attacks all bacteria that make a fish sick, gram + and Gram -)
I also have learned, that simple tail rot on a male guppy can make otherwise healthy females sick. The males get nipped, the females get a body wound from being chased around, and this can lead to a nasty infection and body lesion on the females, tho usually not fatal to the males will simply leave them with ragged tails.
In this case, you would dose the antibiotics once you see the males hanging and acting somewhat unhealthy. I use to think that once you had a body lesion on a fish from bacterial infection it was too late, but this time, i actually cured a female (with terramycin feed) that had a couple small body lesions, she is 100% fine now, apparently once the bacteria is stopped even small body lesions can heal.
Sorry for the rant. I wish you could get better meds outside the us.
Goldfish can live for 20 years and get big, you might want to try the vet if you cant find any good antibiotics....if you can afford it ofc.

Back
Top Bottom