Help !!!! Need stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terri06

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im goin to stock my tank tomorrow can anyone suggest any cool fish i could get ? I have 2 bory cats n 2 bristle nose plecos

I personally prefer a tank with a bunch of little fish as opposed to only a few larger ones. I think it gives the tank more energy and life.

I've got a 48 gallon that's just about done (fishless) cycling and here's what I'm adding-
8 x Neon Tetras
8 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
8 x Guppys
8 x Glo Fish
4 x Cory Catfish

Since you've got a smaller tank you wouldn't want to stock it as full but remember that smaller fish like to be in larger numbers so they can school. I think it's normally recommended to have at least 6-7 in a group of things like tetras.

You can also check out AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor It's not always perfect with it's advice, but it can give you a great idea of what will work in your tank and point out any incompatibilities.

Good luck!

What about some red eyed tetras maybe 5 of them then some neon tetras like 10 and maybe some more cory cats to cheer up the bottom emerald are nice : )

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I personally prefer a tank with a bunch of little fish as opposed to only a few larger ones. I think it gives the tank more energy and life.

I've got a 48 gallon that's just about done (fishless) cycling and here's what I'm adding-
8 x Neon Tetras
8 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
8 x Guppys
8 x Glo Fish
4 x Cory Catfish

Since you've got a smaller tank you wouldn't want to stock it as full but remember that smaller fish like to be in larger numbers so they can school. I think it's normally recommended to have at least 6-7 in a group of things like tetras.

You can also check out AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor It's not always perfect with it's advice, but it can give you a great idea of what will work in your tank and point out any incompatibilities.

Good luck!

+1

Tetras tend to be pretty hardy, especially with newer, just cycled tanks. I was a noob when I started my first tank and I hadn't even finished cycling when I added my Serpae Tetra to the tank.

Danios are also pretty hardy, but they tend to get antsy when not in schools, in my experience--fin nipping, aggression, etc. But otherwise they tend to get along with other fish pretty well.

Mollies are also hardy, but sometimes can be a big more aggressive by nature, so unless you plan to have schools of other fish (30G is decently sized, I have a 29G myself), I can't recommend them.

I've heard of some people that start with guppies, but I'm not as familiar with them.

If you want really docile, friendly fish, I recommend Glass Catfish. They don't stay too small, though, so they take up a lot more gallon space per fish, and you need to get them in schools of at least three (preferably six), but I've never seen any sort of aggression from the three in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom