HELP! New Bolivian Ram Slammed Himself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29gallonNEWB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys!

So I just recently added a Bolivian Ram to my 29g fully cycled tank. Tank inhabitants prior to the Bolivian include 7 Black Neon Tetra, 4 Panda Cories and 3 Amano Shrimp. He has only been in there a few hours, and has been acting really skittish. At one point he slammed himself against the gravel a few times, freaking out. Then I freaked out a little because I didn't quarantine him, and thought it might be ich. But he only did it when I stood in front of the tank, so I'm thinking more than likely I just spooked him? Does this seem right? I have an empty 55 gallon I'm waiting to fill up and start a fishless cycle, so if he keeps showing these odd behaviors, should I fill the 55 up, throw in some safestart and put him in there?? Thanks in advance!

Update: He just rubbed himself twice on the barrell cave thing I have in there. Is this ich?

How did you get on? Did he settle down?

Reading through it hopefully sounded like he was just settling in and getting used to everything. I've had fish flash on the gills after feeding and water changes so as long as not constant (and hopefully not ich).

How did you get on? Did he settle down?

Reading through it hopefully sounded like he was just settling in and getting used to everything. I've had fish flash on the gills after feeding and water changes so as long as not constant (and hopefully not ich).

Hi there,

Pretty confident it's not ich at this point. He's only flashed twice in the week that I've had him, plus no other symptoms of ich have presented. I did finally reallize after about 5 days that the Bolivian is actually killing my other fish, though. So much for aqadvisor being reliable! Everyone on reddit was telling me to watch out for the Bolivian and I finally saw it with my own two eyes last night. He rammed one of my cories so hard that the poor thing went spiraling. Needless to say, he's going back to the fish store today. Too bad, I really liked the little dude.

I have a very nice GBR. Only when he gets poked, does he poke back. No violence here. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456001178.441691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a very nice GBR. Only when he gets poked, does he poke back. No violence here. View attachment 284957

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What a beaut! I'd love to have a GBR but there water here is so hard that it'd be an uphill battle to keep the pH lower.

As I put him into the bag to take him back to the fish store, my Bolivian started pulling at my heart strings, and I decided to keep him. I bought a 55 gallon tank in the meantime which has been fully cycled (fishless) and I decided it would be his new home now. He seems much happier with a bigger territory! Now the question is...what can I put with him?!? :blink:

Back
Top Bottom