HELP new fish/cichlid death Unknown Causes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hana288

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 100-gallon tank that has been established for about a year which has two Biopro External Canister Filter 1800 UV and it gets a water change of about 10% done either once a week or every two weeks.

The parameter of the tank ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all 0, temp is about 25 to 26 and the pH sits at about 7.2 i recon and I also add a bit of tap water conditioner when I do a water change.

For substrate, I have a soil gravel mix and the tank is full of live plants and some driftwood. For feeding, I usually alternate between flakes and pellets and some wafer pellets. Also, on Friday I don’t feed them than Saturday I give them some frozen fish food blocks.

This is the list of what I have in my tank:
- 3 rosy find tetras
- 5 black widows
- 1 pleco
- 8 cory catfish
- 3 jeweled cichlids (1 breeding pair)
- 1 spotted gourami
- 1 moonlight gourami

My issue is been trying to add some more cichlids to the tank and they keep dying about 3 to 4 weeks after I have added them. I’ve tried a yellow cichlid and an electric blue cichlid then 2 demasoni and most recently another yellow cichlid. They act and look fine they didn’t have any tears in their fins and they didn’t look bloated. During two of the time I had also bought the cory fish and they are still all fine.

I thought it could be an internal parasite or a disease but none of my other fish are dying only the new ones and usually after 3 to 4 weeks. The water should be fine since it is such a large tank it less likely there was an ammonia spike. Also, my breading pair of jeweled cichlid have laid eggs twice now in between all this, granted they have only gotten as far as laying the eggs. I don’t think they are very good parent because they keep laying them under the filter intake head and the eggs I think are getting eaten by the other fish.

Does anyone have any ideas because I am out of ideas? :sad:

The pH is a bit low for the Electric Blue Hapi and Electric Yellow Lab. Do you know your KH?

Do you know if the fish you bought were locally bred or from a import or USA fish farm?

Liveaquaria says 76-82° F, KH 10-15, pH 7.8-8.6 (I don't keep these type fish and personally have limited info and knowledge)

Last edited:
haven't tested KH recently I think it was between 10-15 last time i checked and I'm from South Australia.

The 2 demasoni I got off gumtree from a person who accidentally bought a male and female. the rest including the cory and gourami where from the same pet shop.

Maybe your paired up jewels are killing them. Especially during spawning. Africans usually need to be overstocked to lower aggression. Your story is pretty common for people trying to keep small numbers of African Cichlids together of different species. Usually doesn't turn out well.

Back
Top Bottom