help! Newb substrate layering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm starting a a tank, it's only going to be lightly planted with low low/med light plants. the setup is a 37gal tall (30"x12"x24") lit by 65w CF, no CO2. My plan was to do a layer of flourite with a layer of tahitian moon sand on top. I went to every store in town and they were all out of both except the last one, which didnt have flourite but had the tahitian moon and a bag of eco-complete. I bought 20lbs of each, even though they were more expensive than I had planned (the eco-complete was $40 and the sand was $30). I'm not sure if I have enough! I was thinking about adding to the mix a big bag of cheap black gravel. What should I do?

should I get the gravel and then do it in 3 layers? eco - gravel - sand? Or should I mix the gravel into one of the layers?

I bought it today because I am anxious to get the tank cycling, the bio-wheel and a handful of gravel from the previous owner have been sitting in a few inches of water for a couple days now and its starting to smell a little stagnant. Should I return it until another store gets re-stocked and I can get it for cheaper? can I start the cycle without substrate? it seems like there wouldnt be enough surface for the bacteria to grow on....

Help please!

if you want more substrate look for some 3m ColorQuartz sand around your area. Much cheaper than the tahitian and I believe about the same quality.

You can call 3m and they will tell point you to a retailer around your area.

EDIT: 1-800-447-2914 thats the number to call to talk to 3M and locate where to buy it. Or you can actually go to this link now:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Q9KzYsPDdaP0I8yizeINzUz1S_IcFQEAGKvYu0!
Copy and paste the full link, can't create a hyperlink for some reason.

As far as the bacteria goes, you can start it without the substrate. So long as there is ammonia and oxygen in the water the bacteria should grow. A lot of the bacteria will typically settle in on the substrate so I would suggest that you figure out what you want to do sooner than later.

What is your top later? the eco or the sand? if it is the sand you could possibly just add the 3M on top of that with little trouble, however it is the eco, i'd add the bottom sand now and start the tank cycling, then add the 3M and eco later.

Just wanted to note that unless the Eco Complete is going to make up at least 50% of your substrate, it's a waste of money. Same goes for any other specialty substrate. With less then 50% you've diluted it so much that the benefits are minimized too much. If the Eco Complete is still in the bag and you don't want to buy another, I would recommend returning it.

Back
Top Bottom