HELP nitrIte spike established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
So no idea what is causing a nitrite spike in an established take. I've had this tank up and running since July of 2011. I clean it regularly. At least 1/4 water changes weekly - vacuum every other week.

My NitrItes are reading at 1.0 this morning after seeing them at .50 last night. Last night I did a 3/4 water change and all was Okay before I went to bed.

Ammonia and TRATES are good. Ammonia zero trates 20.

I feed once per day.

HELP!

What test kit are you using and is it possible that the nitrite reagent is expired?

What size tank and what's in it?

No - the nitrite kit did not expire... :( I have two different API test kits - both showing the same. And different tanks show results of zero.

It is a 36 gallon bow front.

11 Cherry Barbs ( 6 of them are babies - 1/4 to 1/2 regular size) as one of my male adults died yesterday prompting me to test trites. No - I have tested trites in a while as I have had the same fish in there for months! 2 snails (nerite - mystery) . And a 4 inch common pleco. I test ammonia and trates regularly - always at zero ammonia - 20ish trates.

I've pulled all the barbs to move the adults to 72 gallon tank (with an angel and a pearl gourami and some otos) and the babies that are still too little to fight off the angel to my 10 gallon QT tank where I have a dwarf gourami and have for about 10 days.I'm putting my snails in the 10 gallon too. Right now they're acclimating in a bucket :(

I'm going to do a big water change for my pleco.

API liquid test kits - btw - the same kits - just multiple as I was running out of the ammonia in the other so I got another...

Yes - all fish are accounted for... :() Thank goodness...

The Male Cherry Barb was swimming then was DEAD yesterday afternoon probably in a mater of an hour. I didn't see him *struggle* or anything. Just dead in the corner. I fished him out quickly...

I'm vacuuming the heck out of the 36 gallon now and doing like a 80 % water change. The adults are in the 72 gallon now and the babies are waiting to acclimate for the 10 gallon.

Back to vacuuming.

The only thin is that we do have .50 ammonia out of the tap. It has always been that way. Frustrating. I would be surprised if that little ammonia in all this time would cause a spike TRITE spike.

Trying to think of what else - I have 2 small plants. Both look Okay - One has a moderate amount of decay - Perhaps I'll take it out? But wouldn't that throw off trates vs. trites? I don't have a trate problem... Thoughts?

Putting the "too small" babies in to the 10 gallon. I think they'll be pissed to be back there :( They loved all that space in the 36 gallon. They've been in there for 2 months now.

Back
Top Bottom