Help..Now a ? about Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to get a canister filter for my 55 and was looking for input since i've never owned anything but HOB.

I read a post here about the Vortex Diatom xl and it seemed to say it was just a maintenence filter but the below web site seems to say you can run in all the time (and the cheapest i've found). I'm interested in this one since everything I read about it from people on here.

Any input on if this is the right direction or is there something else that would be better in that price range (100ish). If this is good but is just to run weekly or when needed I'm fine w/ that if it is still going to be the best option.

If you have one how fast do you go through filters and how long does the diatom filter powder last..say 5 lbs?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.diatomfilters.com/

I use the Rena XP3. I picked mine up at a local PetSmart and price matched their online price of $105. There was a $25 mail in rebate too, which I think ends in a week or so. If not, just pick it up here.

A diatom filter like the one you mention is only for polishing a tank and not meant as a means of biological filtration. It's for things like clearing cloudy water or removing green water.

You'll want to go with a standard canister filter for 24/7 filtration.

i love my Eheim ECCO 2233 that I have on my 55. I picked up for way cheap on Ebay because it was 6 months used...ooooh, not a big deal...it works fantastic and my fish breed like crazy. I run it in conjunction with a Penguin 350 HOB though. :D overfiltered??? YEAH, my fish love it!

Eheim, in my opinion, are the best canisters on the market with no exceptions. I've tried several different brands and I have had the best service from Eheim. They are excellent quality and it's the only canister I offer to my aquarium maintenance customers.

Re: Help choosing a filter for 55g

My answers in Blue...

PITT said:
I'd like to get a canister filter for my 55 and was looking for input since i've never owned anything but HOB.

I read a post here about the Vortex Diatom xl and it seemed to say it was just a maintenence filter but the below web site seems to say you can run in all the time (and the cheapest i've found). I'm interested in this one since everything I read about it from people on here.

Cannot be run all the time. It's the Vortex Freedom that can be run all the time. It's for water polishing, and is not a biofilter.

Any input on if this is the right direction or is there something else that would be better in that price range (100ish). If this is good but is just to run weekly or when needed I'm fine w/ that if it is still going to be the best option.

I prefer the Vortex XL. When I need it, I just run it for about 3 hours and all is done. You can run each charge several times before having to clean it out and add new diatom powder (recharge).

If you have one how fast do you go through filters and how long does the diatom filter powder last..say 5 lbs?

The 5lb box lasted me over a year. I only use it when necessary, and not for regular maintenance. And I replaced the powder after each usage, which is not necessary. You can use it several times before having to clean out and add new powder.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.diatomfilters.com/

So I was headed down the wrong path...glad I came here first.

Where did you get your Eheim ECCO 2233? I'm googling 'Eheim ECCO 2233' and I'm only getting 2234...is that the same?

What size is the 2233? (up to 60...up to 75..etc)

Yes, Eheim renamed all their filters and the 2233 is now the 2234. If that makes sense. I got mine on Ebay a while back. I think it's rated for 75. Added to my Penguin 350 I'm filtered at least 3 or 4 times over, but I adore my Eheim ECCO. You can't hear it running. It is the quiest filter I believe I've ever had. See if you can get a 2234 for a reasonable price (Ebay is a good place to start). You can't go wrong with the best rated cannister filter out there. ;)

I thought that I had read that the Eheim's had lower gph rating. Is that true? if it's not turning over the water more, what's makes them so much better?

Quality of construction. Eheim filters are well built and have pumps that will last a long, long time. They are easy to pack and the seals are simple and easy to replace. I've never had a problem with one leaking. The only Eheim pump I've ever had to replace is one that ran dry for so long that the impeller was melted to the pump housing. Granted, I have only used the Classic Eheims and the really large ones. I have no experience with the Eco's or the Pro's although I would expect that they are excellent quality as well.

Additionally, many filter manufacturers overrrate their designs by using paper munbers rather than actually testing them.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just won a used Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister Filter 2234 for $41 (add said only 3 months old) and that includes shipping!

I'm glad I came here. I was ready to spend $100 on the Vortex Diatom xl thinking that is what I needed!

My Chicago Bears are going to the super bowl and I just got a canister filter for more than half than I expected...what a day!

Thanks for the advice...this is used so lets hope it is "perfect" as advetised.

PITT said:
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just won a used Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister Filter 2234 for $41 and that includes shipping!

I'm glad I came here. I was ready to spend $100 on the Vortex Diatom xl thinking that is what I needed!

My Chicago Bears are going to the super bowl and I just got a canister filter for more than half than I expected...what a day!

Thanks for the advice...this is used so lets hope it is "perfect" as advetised.

Good deal!

And what do you know, my Chicago Bears just won too!! Now if the Colts win, that would be un-real.

My wife is a Colts fan so the house is ready for a midwest throwdown!

What will ESPN do w/ no east coast team to cover? LOL

I was using 2 penguin 350 HOB filters with bio wheels in my 55 gallon. I just installed an Aquarium Pharm Filstar Rena XP3. So now I'm using all three filters which is overkill but kinda nice. I might ditch the penguin bio wheels when my XP3 gets established to help with CO2. No matter what you do, you can't go wrong with a Rena. Silent and kick ass!!!!

PITT said:
My wife is a Colts fan so the house is ready for a midwest throwdown!

What will ESPN do w/ no east coast team to cover? LOL

It looks like we will be able to see. Bears vs. Colts!! :rainbowafro:

I wonder if I can get my wife to wager whatever vs. a pressurized c02 on the game? LOL

Back
Top Bottom