Help..Now a ? about Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm stuck in the middle. I'm in Indiana about 2.5 hours from Indy. and about 1 hr from downtown Chicago.... I can't help myself, I have to go Bears.

I'm a Patriots fan, and we lost today- guess all good streaks must end sometime... Anyway, back on topic, I bought an Ecco filter a long while back as my first filter for my first tank, 1 10 gallon aquarium. It was marvelous. It was easy, quick to clean, it polished the water, and it was silent. The downside was the media- it was expensive to buy the Eheim media, even on ebay, but now I realize that you can put lava rock or AC media in there instead. I was a noob at the time, so I followed every jot and tittle of the instruction booklet saying 1/3 of media should be changed out every month or so. Overall, if you buy it, I think it will be sterling for your pets.

Ok so it should be on it's way shortley....what else do i need?

The blue coarse pads and the white fine filter pads...but what about the media?

What is the best option?

I see that physicsdue mentioned lava rock and AC...would I be better off ordering "EHEIM EHFISUBSTRAT Filter Medium"?

I use the Eheim brand Efhisubstrate (sp?) Basically it's lava rock gravel. I set mine up just like the instructions showed. I put the blue pad in the bottom basket with the gravel on top then gravel on;y in the middle basket and in the top a layer of gravel with the white pad on top and then the lid. I've no problems and my tank couldn't be better. That lava gravel is excellent biological media.

Nice score on Ebay!!! That is an awesome deal!! I hate to be the one that says "I told you so" :lol:

Edit: Yes, that Eheim lava gravel you're talking about is all you need besides those blue and white pads. ;)

crazyred said:
Nice score on Ebay!!! That is an awesome deal!! I hate to be the one that says "I told you so" :lol:

Edit: Yes, that Eheim lava gravel you're talking about is all you need besides those blue and white pads. ;)

yeah I was pumped when I won it on ebay! I didnt' really think of ebay until you said something...thanks.

I'm going to order some EHEIM EHFISUBSTRAT...do you know how much I will need?

You're most welcome! I think I ordered a liter of it. I still have the box at home. I get off at 5:00 pm CDT, I'll check when I get home. I know the amount that I bought filled up the baskets just the way I described with a little left over.

Woo Hooo..... :!: :!:

So found a great deal on the filter on ebay...then I got $50 gift cert from work and I used it as an 'e-gift card' and just ordered EHEIM Ecco Coarse Filter Pads, EHEIM Ecco Fine Filter Pads, and EHEIM EHFISUBSTRAT Filter Medium 2.0 Liter from Amazon all for 49.15 w/ shipping!

This is so cool. I'm spending so little out of pocket for this new addtion to the tank.

New toys = cool
New toys for much less than expected = much much cooler

Excellent!!! Yes, I checked at home and it was the 2 liter size, so you will have plenty of that lava gravel...you will even have some left over. If you need help on how to set it up, let me know. ;)

Great job!!!

The seller said he'd send the manual too but I've never operated a canister filter so I'll proabably be back!

***** thanks everyone...you saved me money and hassle w/ good advice *****

Back
Top Bottom