Help oscar is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettalife

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I rescued a oscar from a 10 gallon tank. I only have a 30 to keep him in. He has hlle and is pooping white stringy stuff he has this clearish white stuff covering him what should I do now? I have added salt to the tank. It has a bubbler for oxygen and a tetra 10 gallon filter and a aqueon 30 gallon filter. Raises the temp to 80 degrees.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400973915.608945.jpg

This is the the little guy.
I don't have a test kit to tell you the water conditions.

The white stuff coming off of the skin looks like excess slime and the white stringy poo means internal parasites. There are a few meds you can use with fantastic results but the one i have used is praziquantel and i got almost 100% recovery! I'm not to sure how to treat excess slime but i think raising the temp helps! Also raising the temp helps kill of parasites too!

I hope this helps and good luck!
Tom

Ok I'll try that. But he hasn't eaten in two days because he won't swim to the top to get his food. Do you think that he will eventually or do I need to do something?

I'm not to familiar with most cichlids especially with oscars but if the fish can handle it 28-30C i find helps alot and with the not eating then something is up and you need to get on to it ASAP because once internal parasites have been left untreated it will result in fatality. Try get some anti parasite medication soon and as far as not eating goes , I'm afraid i don't think you can do much about it until he starts feeling better. You are on the right track though! Just may need someone who is an expert on these cichlids but white stringy poo is definitely internal parasites.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I went looking everywhere for some medication last night but couldn't find any. So I just bought him the best food I could find. But he died last night. RIP

I am soo so sorry :( things like this do happen often and it's like a learning thing in my opinion.

Good luck for the future!

Back
Top Bottom