Help picking new livestock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So ive got a yellow tang, and 2 percula clowns. I want to add a few more fish. I want a colorful, active, reef safe community. So suggestions and opinions would be great.

P.S. I am upgrading my 60 gallon hex to a 125 bowfront next month so I will have much more room. Various other upgrades will be made with the new tank. filtration, new skimmer, etc.

I would wait for the upgrade before getting huge fish. I personally think purple firefish and different fairy wrasses are awesome. What are you thinking of getting?

personally a fan of foxfaces. maybe a kole tang, plenty of gobies which would do well in there.

Yeah, I am waiting for the upgrade, but I still want a plan. Quite frankly im having the hardest time trying to figure out what the new members of the community should be.

I for sure want to get a scooter blenny just cause they are cool, and i had one before. ahhhh lol. Im scatter brained.

I love the manderins and am saving some space for 1 once my tank is 6 months old. IMO the coolest looking reef safe fish out there.

Pj cardinals are funky looking. I really like the coral beauty especially with a bluer light color. 6 line wrasse has some nice colors.

Any dwarf angel would be good but you new to watch with corals. Tangs, clowns, dwarf angels, copper band butterfly... If you don't do tangs you can get bat fish which are awesome.

I was considering a flame angel, cause they are so vibrant and I enjoy their calm nature. Also, as for manderins my wife has been begging me to put one in there, but im waiting for older water.

Needs to be a very established tank. Mant people say this fishs tank size is always bigger than what they have it in. the reason is all it does is eat pretty much 24 7. It is always kind of hard to get it to eat frozen foods unless you buy it alrdy eating it. with this fish it can at any time turb on the frozen food and starve to death. They eat pods like crazy make sure u have a lot of live rock.

very good advice. My lfs told me about manderins which has honestly had me on the fence about them. Pretty fish are pointless dead...lol So here is another question. I just love tangs. they are beautiful. can i put a different species in with my yellow tang? NOTE: not for my current 60 gallon, this discussion is about stocking my 125g upgrade next month.

Yes you can what you will to stay away from if they are in the same species. If they look a like they maybe aggressive. for instance a blue hippo and a yellow tang will get along more that a yellow tang and a purple tang. Y the purple and yellow are almost the same besides color but the hippo yellow have different shapes. The blue hippo is more elongated while the yellow is more round

I have my mandarin trained to eat frozen and pellets (this takes time and patients) , but I also raise pods , mysiss , brine so he has a endless food source
I have had my mandarin almost a year now and he has got to be one of my favorite fish

ok so it boils down to get one that looks as different as possible to the yellow tang? awsome to hear that. Something else is my tang refuses to eat algea. its on a clip around his area he likes to be in the tank. he loves flake, and brine shrimp. should i get a food that has alge and protien formula?. sorry just have loads of questions and i refuse to depend on google searches. Ive been missled in the past more than once.

Questions are fine thats what this forum is for. My yellow tang would never eat of the clip so I buy the ocean nuttition algae cubes. I feed my fish 3 times a day 2 brine shrimp and 1 algaecube

So anymore suggestions for new tank mates? Maybe if pissible some pics to go with suggestion, and if you own some please do share. Its always nice to others fishie! :)

I have a bi color angel in with my yellow tang. Took a couple weeks for them to be ok with each other but now they are always together.

I suggest getting the other tang as you do the transfer when no territories are established. If you don't want to risk it there are A LOT of choices. Anthias are beautiful. So are wrasse. Also have you tried nori for the tang? Romaine lettuce? Less nutritional but can help him convert

Back
Top Bottom