help - Plant substrate made my water cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid.greenhorn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just put new planted substrate in my 55 gallon, wanted to release guppies into the tank but it still has not settled. It's cloudy, and I was wondering if it was safe to release or should I wait? Thanks

My other option is a breeder net in my cichlid tank. Please help I don't want to release fish in dangerous water. But I can't wait to much they are floating in a bag now.

It's said not to, it was sealed with enriched nutrients. It said drain thoroughly and add slowly, I did and it just won't settle.

2.5 hrs since I added the substrate, just did a water check. All seems good. Ammo.0 rites0 trace rates .The cloudy water makes me think it would be hard on their gills though.

I would do a big (90%) water change and put them in, it shouldn't hurt them, it's just yucky looking. I would do large daily water changes til its completely clear. Personally, I would have thoroughly washed it first..

Even though it says not to, its for planted and was enriched with iron and other minerals. So should I do the breeder net with my cichlids till the water change is complete?

cichlid.greenhorn said:
Even though it says not to, its for planted and was enriched with iron and other minerals. So should I do the breeder net with my cichlids till the water change is complete?

How many guppies is it?

And yeah, I would have washed it anyways, it won't hurt anything, the nutrients it has leach out over time. Eventually stoping since it only has so much in it to leach.

It was 4 but now 3. I took them with hopes of a better home. 1 male 2 females and a fry. One of the females got hungry. One less fry, looking back I shouldn't have transported them together. Doing big water change now, about 10 done so far.

Yeah, they'll be okay in a breeder net for a while. But.. In order to put them in the other tank you really should acclimate them to that tank, ideally. If you'll be done soon, I wouldn't worry about it. How long have they been in the bag?

@ youknowit, sorry if I seem rude, I really stress more than my fish. I was just in a rush and worried. I want my fish to thrive, not just survive.

cichlid.greenhorn said:
@ youknowit, sorry if I seem rude, I really stress more than my fish. I was just in a rush and worried. I want my fish to thrive, not just survive.

Haha, you're fine, it didn't come across rude to me, probably cause I'm the same way.. :p if the bag says it theres a reason! But in truth it really won't hurt, only help to get some of the small debris off that cloud up the water.

If all the good stuff was loose on the substrate it would megaoverload the tank with nutrients, cause a ton of algae, then do nothing. Haha

It's activ.flora bio enriched planted substrate. I'm gonna try a big water change and wait till tomorrow and take it from there. Probably do a bucket drip for the guppies. Nice n slow and see where that gets me. Thanks for all your help everyone. I will keep checking back, but it looks like I got to change some water right now.

cichlid.greenhorn said:
It's activ.flora bio enriched planted substrate. I'm gonna try a big water change and wait till tomorrow and take it from there. Probably do a bucket drip for the guppies. Nice n slow and see where that gets me. Thanks for all your help everyone. I will keep checking back, but it looks like I got to change some water right now.

Then definitely do the guppies in the breeder net, they'll be fine in there til tomorrow. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I would do a drip acclimation before putting them in the other tank to minimize stress.

Yea, I meant to say drip acclimation. But I said bucket drip because I cannot spell very well. Guppies have been in breeder net for 30 mins, looking ok. I think I see little eyeballs in the back part of a chubby females belly. Is it possible she's prego, because they are live bearing fish right? If this is true should I change plans? Or steam ahead full?

cichlid.greenhorn said:
Yea, I meant to say drip acclimation. But I said bucket drip because I cannot spell very well. Guppies have been in breeder net for 30 mins, looking ok. I think I see little eyeballs in the back part of a chubby females belly. Is it possible she's prego, because they are live bearing fish right? If this is true should I change plans? Or steam ahead full?

If there are male and female, they're going to breed, so its very possible, I wouldn't worry about it, they're in the breeder net already Haha. I would just continue as planned.

I guess this is what I get for caring. A large pet store had 14 shoved in a 4" x 4" breeder box. In a tank with 100 gold fish. It just seemed wrong when I have a 55 gal with just plants. I thought I was saving them. Cross your fingers for them.

Back
Top Bottom