Help planting plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my first plants and don't know how to plant them into my tank can some one please help me:)

Using tweezers or forceps is usually the easiest option. A deeper substrate also makes it easier.

I got a few plants today and a snail here's some pics can any one please identify the species??

Attachments

• image-891932360.jpg
    image-891932360.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2654169819.jpg
    image-2654169819.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1638552342.jpg
    image-1638552342.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2208833558.jpg
    image-2208833558.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1460723028.jpg
    image-1460723028.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3075817516.jpg
    image-3075817516.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3748369596.jpg
    image-3748369596.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 46
The second row and right corner is a plant from Madagascar there is 2 plants but I haven't pulled them apart yet and they where 15$ a piece!!!! But my pet store owner gave me them for 10$ a piece and both for 20$ instead of 30$!!!!!!:D

Just remembered the name of the pic in the middle of the first row he said it was called water onion

When I did my first tank a few months ago, I didn't know about planted tanks. I almost am more into the plants than anything else! I'm probably saying that because I can't have fish in there (yet). :lol:

callisto9 said:
When I did my first tank a few months ago, I didn't know about planted tanks. I almost am more into the plants than anything else! I'm probably saying that because I can't have fish in there (yet). :lol:

Lol I'm gonna follow your thread;)

Like the plants. Would like a couple of those Madagasgar lace.

Looking at the pictures all I can see to help out with is to remove the lead weights and plant the stems in the sand covering 3 or 4 nodes from the bottom up. A node is where leaves grow from. It's a technical plant term. In soil, instead of leaves, roots will grow from the nodes.

Looks like I can't spell, but here's the list in order of pictures.

Cambodia
Onion plants
Bacopa Carolina maybe lemon
Madagasar Lace
Anarchist
Valisaria

Also, I think you'll need 2-3 watts per gallon for the M. Lace.

Wroberson said:

Looking at the pictures all I can see to help out with is to remove the lead weights and plant the stems in the sand covering 3 or 4 nodes from the bottom up. A node is where leaves grow from. It's a technical plant term. In soil, instead of leaves, roots will grow from the nodes.

Cambodia
Onion plants
Madagasar Lace
Anarchist
Valisaria

K thanks

Wroberson said:

Cambodia
Onion plants
Madagasar Lace
Anarchist
Valisaria

Not quite sure about "Anarchist" heres what i found on google http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism lol I'm pretty sure that's not a plant xD

From your pic's I noticed you planted all you bunch plants as you recieved them with anchors on. You need to take them out, remove the anchor, cut about a 1/2 to 1 inch off the bottom of each stem and plant each stem individually. Leave about a finger space between each stem. If you don't most likely your stem bottoms will rot and they will all go into decline. By planting them individually you allow for light to reach the lower leaves and you get much better growth with no lower leaf loss. You will also be able to fill you tank out by having stands of plants. That is the correct way to plant stem plants.

Be sure to plant the Val individually also but don't trim the bottom off and plant them closer together than the stem plants.

I'm waiting about 2 weeks before I do that because they don't have good root systems on them yet and if I wait about 2-3 weeks they will be a lot better!

I'm waiting about 2 weeks before I do that because they don't have good root systems on them yet and if I wait about 2-3 weeks they will be a lot better!

You should cut the bottoms off and plant them correctly so new roots grow in the substrate where you want them. Leaving them bundled can cause rotting in the lower stem area and if that happens you will have to cut the bottoms off and replant them anyway. Waiting really isn't a good idea.

Rivercats said:
You should cut the bottoms off and plant them correctly so new roots grow in the substrate where you want them. Leaving them bundled can cause rotting in the lower stem area and if that happens you will have to cut the bottoms off and replant them anyway. Waiting really isn't a good idea.

Ok but I'm leaving my 2 Madagascar lance together

Back
Top Bottom