Help, platy is being a bully!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatPlantedGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My platy is bullying my guppies and neon tetras and I'm not sure what to do, I can't tell with its the platys bite marks or finrot. Pls help

What size tank ?
How often are you feeding ?

What fish do you have in the tank ?
I'm not gonna lie it's extremely overstocked, a family relative of mine wanted this female wagtail.

Sadly the tank is only 5.5 g (I say that so regrettingly) it was my first tank in two years so I went a bit overboard here's the fish :-(

2 guppies
5 neon tetras
1 male dwarf gourami
And some cherry shrimp to handle dee ?

Pls dont be mad?

Would suggest returning or rehoming all of those fish if you can't get a bigger tank. Your going to have nothing but trouble with fish in that size tank. Other than a betta (even then I would go with 10g) I wouldn't put anything beside shrimp it a 5.5

Would suggest returning or rehoming all of those fish if you can't get a bigger tank. Your going to have nothing but trouble with fish in that size tank. Other than a betta (even then I would go with 10g) I wouldn't put anything beside shrimp it a 5.5
It seemed to be going really well everyone was fine until I added the platy in, also is it just me or do platys ? soooo muchh

Pound for pound they say guppies have a very high bioload, but I'm not sure how Platies compare. I keep mine in a 75 so they've got lots of room.

All of your fish do need much more room though, that's why the fin issues. No where for them to get away. Have even seen read about neons needing more than a 10 to have a big enough swimming area. Dwarf gourami (even honeys) need more than 10. So to say you're overstocked is an understatement, even at 10 gallons, they would need a bigger footprinted tank.

If you want to keep those fish, a 20 long would be awesome. I have always wanted one too. Lol

Pound for pound they say guppies have a very high bioload, but I'm not sure how Platies compare. I keep mine in a 75 so they've got lots of room.

All of your fish do need much more room though, that's why the fin issues. No where for them to get away. Have even seen read about neons needing more than a 10 to have a big enough swimming area. Dwarf gourami (even honeys) need more than 10. So to say you're overstocked is an understatement, even at 10 gallons, they would need a bigger footprinted tank.

If you want to keep those fish, a 20 long would be awesome. I have always wanted one too. Lol
Yeah youre right, friend is getting a 15 long and they want guppies and platys so I will most likely give them a home

Back
Top Bottom