Help please! Boesemani Rainbow with sore for a month plus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toomanypets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Boesemani Rainbow that has been sick for over a month and I have been trying to treat it for over four weeks.
My tank is a 29 gallon tank that has been up and running for almost a year. There are two Boesemani Rainbows, two Dwarf Neon Rainbows, two Turquoise rainbows, six Glass Bloodfin Tetras, and five Amano Shrimp. It is a lightly planted tank. The Boesemani Rainbows were the first fish in the tank.
pH of the tank is 7.5, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate runs around 20 to 30 ppm. Temperature is typically 78 but I increased to 84 after illness started.
I do a weekly 35% water change and vacuum gravel. There have been no changes to the tank (added fish, etc.) for over three months.
The first symptom was a small fluffy white spot at the front of the dorsal fin. After seeing this I raised temperature and added a low level of aquarium salt. Over the next two weeks the area got larger and got somewhat red. Went to the LFS where API Tetracycline and Melafix were recommended. Removed carbon filter from tank and treated. That treatment lasted four days until Tetracycline ran out. Went back to LFS and they were sold out of antibiotics. Went to the other LFS (20 miles away actually) and they had furan 2 and Erythromycin. Treated with Furan 2 and Melafix for four days. No improvement and my tank was a mess so I relocated the sick Rainbowfish to a 10 gallon hospital tank filled with water from main tank. I continued treating the fish in hospital tank with Erythromycin and Lifeguard for ten days. The fish’s condition was stable but no improvement.
Then I went on vacation for five days. I returned to find no change for better or worse. Took pictures of fish (September 16th) and went back to LFS. They suggested Erythromycin and API Fungus Cure. I am now 9 days into that and no perceptible change other than the wound is a bit less fuzzy. The fish behavior was normal in the main tank. In the hospital tank is still eats and swims but mostly hovers in one area. Second set of pictures are today. Fungus cure made the water green so color is a bit different. Water changes in the hospital tank have been 25% every two to three days as recommended in medication instructions.
No other fish in my tank have any issue. This fish is 2½ to 2¾ inches in length.
Someone help me please. Do I keep treating or leave it alone to get better or worse? Any other things I can try?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sept.16th.1.jpg
    Sept.16th.1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 193
  • September.16th.2.jpg
    September.16th.2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 238
  • September.23rd.1.jpg
    September.23rd.1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 198
  • September.23rd.2.jpg
    September.23rd.2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 163
Hi, how are they doing? Did you get it solved?

Internet connection is terrible here but that sounds like columnaris (bacterial infection).

Edit - are you still treating?

Still treating with api fungus cure and tetra lifeguard. No noticeable change better or worse.

After reading a bunch of threads here I thought it could be columnaris. But could that affect only one fish? It's been six weeks since the first symptoms.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks more like an ulcer than any fuzziness. I am almost positive it's not a fungus. I would switch to a broad spectrum antibiotic to take care of it rather than the fungal med.

That looks more like an ulcer than any fuzziness. I am almost positive it's not a fungus. I would switch to a broad spectrum antibiotic to take care of it rather than the fungal med.

Can't see the pics as have hardly any connection but anti-biotic I'd try as well. You may need 2 courses. Also if you can lower the temp a little that should slow the infection down.

Are those pics in chronological order? The last one looks improved to me.

They are in chronological order. First two are from the 16th last two from the 23rd after a week on anti fungal treatment. Seems like there was a secondary fungal infection on the ulcer.

Thanks everyone. I live in a relatively rural area but am headed to Portland today where I'll get a broad spectrum antibiotic.

A little late but I'd skip Erythromycin and tetracycline meds. They are mostly for gram positive bacteria where as chances are antibiotics for gram negative bacteria are needed.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately he died yesterday. Thankfully none of my other fish have any issues. It does leave my other Boesemani Rainbow alone though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have other rainbows in the tank but he is now the only Boesemani and is quite a bit larger than everyone else.

My LFS has a 150 gallon display tank with five large Boesemanis in it. I know they will take my remaining Boesemani on. Will he be ok alone in my community tank, or should I give him up to where he wont be so lonely.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom