HELP PLEASE! I need help deciding if I get some red claw crabs or a crayfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john_franzwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon I will set up depending on what one I get so I can make sure it meets all the needs of that animal. I have some expernce with rcs and bamboo shrimp so I decided to try something new.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Depends on what you like really, if you want to do a Crayfish a 10 gallon is really on suitable for 1.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Red claw crab are fiddler crabs and need brackish water with some land to craw up out of the water and dig in to, very hard to keep. You can get some dwarf mexican crayfish. They stay about an inch long and u can put at least 4 in a 10g and they will breed

Sent from my LG-E971 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Red claw crab are fiddler crabs and need brackish water with some land to craw up out of the water and dig in to, very hard to keep. You can get some dwarf mexican crayfish. They stay about an inch long and u can put at least 4 in a 10g and they will breed

Ok thanks I'm thinking leaning more towards the crayfish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you're getting crayfish make sure you consider the adult size. Clarkii and Alleni can get up to 5" or more. Marble crayfish usually stay around 3"-4". Either of the dwarf crayfish types will work.

Do not put 4 In a 10g tank! They'll eat each other if there is not enough hiding spots. Put max 2in a 10g.

Fish?are?friends?not?food

Mexican dwarf crayfish get no bigger than 1.5" long and 4 in a 10 gallon is fine

Haha trust me, no more than 2 in a 10, and that has to be a certified pair! I put 3 in there and the next day I ran out to get 2 2.5 gallons one for each crayfish, and the third stayed in the 10. 4 would be pure animal cruelty. Keep in mind that my 10 was heavily planted as well. I would say maybe 2 marbled if you want a larger specimen, or a pair of dwarf crags. The pair would breed and you can probably sell them for $12 a piece.

Nils

Mexican dwarf crayfish get no bigger than 1.5" long and 4 in a 10 gallon is fine

Obviously have no experience with these crays, they need room for territories

They get to 2" and need lots of hiding spots for when they molt too.

I've had 1/2" wild caught crays kill each other in a rock filled 10g. Really did not matter on the size. Once they molt they are vulnerable. Period. Not sure how different CPOs are in this case (never owned them).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had 1/2" wild caught crays kill each other in a rock filled 10g. Really did not matter on the size. Once they molt they are vulnerable. Period. Not sure how different CPOs are in this case (never owned them).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
CPO are even more delicate,even pairs are know to kill each other after mating. if they aren't a pair you really have to watch them cus they'll hunt each other.

Back
Top Bottom