Help please New owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gtfc_jacko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, 3 days ago I purchased a brand new tropical aquarium tank (60 litre) I have followed all the setting up instructions and installed the filter and aquarium heater, but yesterday the water started getting really cloudy and quite warm! I felt the heater and that was really hot! Is this normal
For aquariums? As I don't want to purchase any fish yet of there is something wrong!

Cheers

Jason

Cloudiness could be due to cycling. Read up on cycling your tank to establish beneficial bacteria. Heaters do get hot but should not stay on constantly. Get a cheap thermometer to check the temperature, and adjust the thermostat on the heater. If the heater is locked in the on or off position and can't be controlled, return it.

Gtfc_jacko said:
Hi all, 3 days ago I purchased a brand new tropical aquarium tank (60 litre) I have followed all the setting up instructions and installed the filter and aquarium heater, but yesterday the water started getting really cloudy and quite warm! I felt the heater and that was really hot! Is this normal
For aquariums? As I don't want to purchase any fish yet of there is something wrong!

Cheers

Jason

When you say you followed directions does that mean you added a bacterial starter? If so this could explain the cloudiness. You DON'T want to add any fish until your tank is fully cycled unless you want to do a fish IN cycle. Go to the stickies in the getting started forum & read up on the fish LESS & fish IN cycling of a tank if you haven't done so. With either cycle you will need a liquid water test kit if you don't have one already. If you go fish IN it requires more work but it is doable. I don't know what kind of heater you have but hopefully it is adjustable & all you need to do is turn it down. 3 of mine don't have numbers on them but there is a mark for what is supposed to be ideal, which is about 76-78F.

Cheers

Jason

Depends on what substrate you use, and how you introduced it and water, as well. This has happened on all 3 of my tanks. Cloudy for a day or so, depending on filtration system being used, but it should go away as a normal part of the process.

Cheers for all your replies! It looks like I have a faulty heater! As it the temperature does not want to go down!

Cheers for all your replies! It looks like I have a faulty heater! As it the temperature does not want to go down!

Depending on where you are, and where the tank is in the house, you might be able to get away without having one for the time being. I have a betta in a 20 gal, in an open storage room setting, heater disconnected and it stays at 77*. I'm sure that'll change but just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom