help please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like diatoms to me. How long has the tank been cycled? Diatoms often come from the tank being new and will go away on their own in most cases.

fishboy87 said:
No the tank is pretty much cycled for a while ... I gotta do a half to 3/4 water change so hopefully everything is ok, what you think?

How much light does it have? I hope someone more experienced comes. I'm not really sure of the other reasons for diatoms.

fishboy87 said:
It does not have that mug light... No more than 5 hours a day....

I think I've heard that diatoms can come from too little light. Try upping the time. Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Algae bloom is normally a sign of excess nutrients in water, over feeding, I'm not sure if it's caused by too little light, I always though It came from too much light and too much nutrients in water. But I maybe wrong. Do u have a phosphate test kit? Test the phosphate and nitrate. Even though diatoms can exist without those, it's a start.

Hubert90 said:
Algae bloom is normally a sign of excess nutrients in water, over feeding, I'm not sure if it's caused by too little light, I always though It came from too much light and too much nutrients in water. But I maybe wrong. Do u have a phosphate test kit? Test the phosphate and nitrate. Even though diatoms can exist without those, it's a start.

For most algae yes. But I'm pretty sure diatoms are different. Test the phosphate as he said, and nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom