Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright so I decided to try algaefix from API.
I don't know if this is related but 30 minutes after I put the recommend dose in the tank, every fish in the tank seemed ill. I did a 20% water change. 30 minutes later, one tiger barb was dead so I did yet another 20% change. They seemed to still be ill but nothing else died.
When I woke up this morning another tiger barb was dead and they are all still acting sick/stressed/lathargic.

Stock: 4 (now 2) tiger barbs and 1 rainbow shark.
15 gallons. Water chemistry is normal and the same as it always is!
I don't know what else it could be, it had to be the algaefix...right? ?!

Sorry about your loss of fish....... Not sure what caused them to die though. Did you happen to check the temperature??

I'd do some large water changes, 50-75% to get that stuff out of the water.

What do you mean by 'normal water chemistry'? Algaefix kills algae so if you have something like a green water bloom that is a ton of dead algae in the tank and can cause a toxin spike.

Happy to say that I did a complete tank change lol. New rocks and everything. Seems to have worked, all the fish are acting normal again.
Just so weird that two tiger barbs died seemingly for no reason. (Although there's always a reason) oh well, dodged a bullet this time!

No, actually the bullet is still there, just in a different form.

Your shark must be in a larger tank. I'd advise minimum of 75 gallons, others might say 55.

The barbs are very aggressive and I would advise a larger tank for them as well. Also, many more of them, like a dozen to help curb aggression.

yeah your right, I plan on getting a bigger tank for them when I can, I just dont have the space right now. The shark is still small so I have time. But I def. hear ya, thanks

Back
Top Bottom