Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
An really interested into really getting into Aquascaping. Although I do not know which plants to purchase to really make my tank look great. Also what kind of affordable lighting would you suggest?

It would be difficult to make any real suggestions without knowing a tank size you want to work with, as well as any limitations you may have in terms of canopy or light fixture and how much effort you want to put into it. There are more than a few plants that are easy to grow in conditions that are not difficult to create at low cost. What you want in terms of final appearance will also affect your plant choices.
Affordable lighting can be as simple as adding CFLs to an incandescent canopy, or adding a shoplight fixture over the tank. It can be fairly simple or you can make it complicated.

You can usually buy T-5's for a relatively decent price. A regular T-5 fixture will be sufficient for most low-moderate light plants.

People have been known to use sand and gravel for plants, but I prefer a plant-specific substrate such as eco-complete. It gives the plants an extra boost that alot of fast growing plants need.

Low to moderate light plants give you a pretty decent mix. For my tank, I am doing dwarf sag, java fern, wisteria, jungle val's, rotala, and anubias.

You can also look into crypt's. Generally, those are pretty hardy and do not require much light.

You'll definitely want to look into root tabs and/or some sort of liquid fertilizer. I dont personally use CO2 but certain plants really should have it to reach full potential.

Currently I have a 10g with a t8 full spectrum fluorescent bulb. I have a java fern, sword plants (I know they will out grow the tank, just didn't know at the time of purchase) and dwarf hair grass. I would like to have a professional look to it. I also use liquid ferts weekly. I am just not getting results I would like. Although the plants I got from petsmart were not In good condition so I am waiting for the new growth and that has taken quite a while. What are some good tall, medium, and short plants. I want to create that concave look with the tall plants on each side and leading to grass in the middle or a triangle with tall plants on one side leading to grass or ground cover on the other side. I just do not know the right plant choice to accomplish this goal.

Swords usually require higher lighting than a regular T-8 fixture can provide, fancy bulbs or not. Dwarf Hair grass, I have been told, can be tricky to keep.

When plants are taken from one place to another and replanted, it can take a few weeks for them to start really growing again.

What kind of substrate are you using?

ETI: This site seems to have some good information on plants and has some plants seperated into specific catagories... hardy/ low light, foreground/midground/background, etc.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/category_s/190.htm

Okay thanks! I am just using black gravel but I am willing to switch to what is best

I have used a lot of different so called "special" substrate and in my experience flourite has gave me the best results

richpowell1989 said:
I have used a lot of different so called "special" substrate and in my experience flourite has gave me the best results

I have thought about switching to that. Thank you for your help!

I'm currently using eco-complete and it seems to work rather well although my tank is still in its infancy, I have no complaints thus far. I mainly went with it based on price to weight it was about 16.99 for 20lbs.

I would say for sure upgrade your light once you have the funds to spare, as not only will your tank look great but you'll be able to increase your options in regards to what you can successfully grow.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to some pictures. : )

RedFlame said:
I'm currently using eco-complete and it seems to work rather well although my tank is still in its infancy, I have no complaints thus far. I mainly went with it based on price to weight it was about 16.99 for 20lbs.

I would say for sure upgrade your light once you have the funds to spare, as not only will your tank look great but you'll be able to increase your options in regards to what you can successfully grow.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to some pictures. : )

I agree lights are also a very important point

I am actually just getting into planted tanks as well. At first i used a cheap "plant specific" substrate and all my plants died lol. I have the correct lights and im using flourite too. Just set up a yeast Co2 system. (Thats a whole other topic.) Flourite has given me great results. CFL lights too.
Its really a whole bunch of trial and error i've found out. Java fern is hardy, annubis nana is too.

Smcoyle87 said:
I am actually just getting into planted tanks as well. At first i used a cheap "plant specific" substrate and all my plants died lol. I have the correct lights and im using flourite too. Just set up a yeast Co2 system. (Thats a whole other topic.) Flourite has given me great results. CFL lights too.
Its really a whole bunch of trial and error i've found out. Java fern is hardy, annubis nana is too.

Same here I thought I could use cheap gravel but like you said its all about trial and error and I think everyone on this forum has made mistakes along the way

Back
Top Bottom