Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stardaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have liter tank with about 20 fish never done a water change since set up been up and running for about 5-6 weeks have guppies Molly's and 2 plecs on there can you help please

Didn't like the advise huh? Maybe someone will tell you exactly what you'd like to hear, right or wrong and all will be well (y)

Well simply do a water change. I would do 2 changes today if the tank wasnt cycled before hand. 40% now and then 40% later. Do you have a water testing kit?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I do have a testing kit and yer I did listen if I ask more people and they all say the same then I'm on the right track mate

Well wait for others to chime in but if you havent changes any water in that length of time ammonia must be on the increase. I would seriously do 2 seperate water changes at 40% with afew hours in between or at least a single 50%

If you have a test kit, want to post your results?

I don't see a question here. If you don't want to do wc's then why have fish? They take half an hour tops so just do them or get rid of your tank

View attachment 216357and there is the sucker I had to wait for him to come out

Why did you have to wait for him to come out? I dont understand.

Water changes are simple needed tasks that need to be preformed for the health of your fish. Seeing as though your tank isnt even cycled and youre at the 5-6week mark, either you change and replace water or youll be changing and replacing dead fish. Once your tank has aged, cycled and become established you can reduce the water changes to 30% weekly or if you struggle with percentages around 1/3 of the tank and if you struggle with fractions, sharing a ciggerette with 2 other people and smoking an even amount each. Less than half but more than a quarter!

120litres is a puddle of water and 50% or 60litres would take 10mins max. After youve done it afew times it becomes easy.

I manage 525litres weekly between my 200L (52g) and my 240L (65g) at 75litres Everyday, its not needed to this extent because theyre cycled established tanks but i prefer to keep the water as clean, fresh and low in nitrates and other toxins as possible. Im sure you can handle a 30g

Get a coffie down you and get off your backside :)

Last edited:
Yer that's fine I can do a water change I had the tank running for 2 weeks befor any fish went in to it and have a test kit for after amm levers are all good and I was asking how often you would need to water change I've never just left my fish to die or not looking after them as I do look after them I was just wondering how often you would have to water change as I new to this

It's not just ammonia you should be watching. It's starting to sound like your tank is not cycled. Did you see an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike followed by both ammonia and nitrite falling to 0ppm and only having a nitrate reading? You should do wc's at least once a week.

Yer I had a amm spike when I first set it up had a water test at pets at home and they said my water is perfect nothing wrong with it

Again it goes ammonia then nitrite then nitrate. If you could post your levels and not just say my waters good we could help you (example 0ppm ammo and nitrite and 5ppm nitrate is what my 30 is currently at , I checked it yesterday). But if all you want to know is how often to do wc's then that's been answered. And most people working at lfs don't know what they're talking about

Yer I had a amm spike when I first set it up had a water test at pets at home and they said my water is perfect nothing wrong with it

Most people change 30-50% of their water weekly. I do a third every week. Your nitrates are a good indication of how often you should do water changes. Your chosen fish have quite high bioloads so I would imagine you need to be quite vigilant with water changes. You should also gravel vac and clean your filter media in tank water. I do this every few weeks but change water every week.

I thought you had your own tester? I wouldnt rely on pets at home mate or any of your local aquatic shops. 2weeks isnt long enough to build a biological colony in your filter. Water from the tap will test negative for ammonia and nitrite so they will say 'yeah your waters fine' unless you tap water is poopoo and only until the fish are added will it start to rise.

So just for kicks why don't you go test and post your results. Specifically ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389557808.401369.jpg that's the test I've have done and to me looked ok and no not just for a kick it's for my two little boys that are one and two that's why I'm asking mate but that's the reading I've got from it

Back
Top Bottom