Help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie reese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi this is my water test and I've just put some prime in but my tank is given off a funny smell but all the fish seem healthy eat does anyone know what it could be thank you

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448895963.188254.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448895979.805472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Over 2 years but did 50% water change cleaned glass and sand X

The 0 nitrates are a bit concerning...

Try a retest and shake the crap out of the regent bottles AND the tube. That many Africans it has to be a faulty test

Edit: yes prime has a sulfer/rotten egg smell. If it's something different try cleaning under the top rim of the tank. Sometimes food can get stuck under there.

Caleb

Ok The nitrates two or nitrates three I will do a retest now and show you x

That's exactly what it smells like rotten egg X

Okay that looks better. Ammonia looks like 0.50 but it's probably just the lighting making it look darker.

Nitrates look around 20 which is good. It's best to aim for 20ppm and under.

Caleb

Hi the ammonia was 25 in the nitrate was 10 xxxx

Amazing thank u so nothing to worry about xxx

Gotcha. My suggestion would be test your tap water for ammonia(it has happened to some people!)

And clean the filters if there's no ammonia from the tap. That should help solve the ammonia.

Caleb

Wot the best way to get rid of ammonia I just cleaned everything ie filter glass sand when I did the water change 50% 3 days ago

Just checked taped water all good no sign of ammonia there
So wot some I do X

Wot the best way to get rid of ammonia I just cleaned everything ie filter glass sand when I did the water change 50% 3 days ago

Just checked taped water all good no sign of ammonia there
So wot some I do X

Cleaning everything really well is a step backwards...

The bacteria that naturally "eat" Ammonia and produce Nitrite, as well as the ones that "eat Nitrite and produce Nitrate, live in the filters and sand. So if you replace all the filter media and stuff, you kill the bacteria and they cant "eat" the Ammonia and Nitrites.

In short, if you replaced all the media you might be experiencing a recycle...

If you want to get rid of Ammonia, try to feed less heavily (and don't have a huge population of fish) while the bacteria colony grows. You could also get seeded media from a nearby fish store.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Amazing thank you so much for that wots seeded media X

Amazing thank you so much for that wots seeded media X

Media is anything that holds the bacteria.

Seeded media would be a filter pad or a couple pounds of sand in a tank that has been set up for a while. This helps the process get along faster because the bacteria is already living in these.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom