Help! Power out for a while. What else can I do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wackarnold_327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I work. So what I do is I boil water and us that to heart up my water change buckets a few degrees. I have a 55 gal with 7 baby cichlids and a ten gal with guppies. Doing 2 to three 10% water changes a day

How long has your power been out? As long as your filter media stays wet, you'll be fine.

I usually take large bath towels and wrap them around the tanks when we're anticipating power to be out for a while, but don't sweat it otherwise.

Why so many water changes?

They have battery powered air pumps available in most LFS or online. If you think it will be out for a few days pick one up to help keep the water gas exchange at a good rate. The PWC will help tons. I think wrapping the tank with towels would be good to help keep the temp steady. Great idea! One I had never thought of. The warm water PWC will help as well. If you don't want to buy the pump than just swish your water around everyone and then for surface agitation. And I'll restate to just keep your media wet. Pour some tank water through your filter to give it something to work on. If you are out a while you might have a mini cycle. I know when we had a huge power outage up here in the fall I heard many people took their filter media out and stuck in eight in the tank.

If you're staying at home like the news channel recommend, then keep up with the hot water changes. If you need to get out of the house, then get a battery operated air pump. They're working on getting the power back! Be careful with the heavy, frozen ice outside.

Wackarnold_327 said:
I work. So what I do is I boil water and us that to heart up my water change buckets a few degrees. I have a 55 gal with 7 baby cichlids and a ten gal with guppies. Doing 2 to three 10% water changes a day

Also they make back up batteries, like for computers. If Ur power is out for long periods get a big one and cycle your filter not to drain battery.

Power has been out for two days. Water changes for oxygen. I have a canister filter.not worries about the media. Thanks I'll look into the battery powered pumps.

Thanks alot for the help. I haven't been at this very long. Power is back on. My tank temps were below 64. (thats as low as my thermometer goes). I plan on doing a 50 pwc when the water temp levels out.

Don't raise the water temp. To fast. You can send the fish into shock and cause ick

Simplest thing..... if you're prepared. Hook up an inverter to a car battery and you can power your heater & canister for days.

Back
Top Bottom