HELP! Quickly. Guppies sick and dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And my lighter female seems to have developed red splotches on her skin or right underneath the skin.

Ich. Every hobbist's dread. I have not had it myself, but I know how to treat it.

Lots and lots of thorough water changes.

Raise the temperature SLOWLY(!!!) to 86 degrees.

Increase aeration (Add bubble stones, turn filter on high, increase water surface disturbance.

What will happen is the high temperature will speed up the ich life cycle. The ich attaches to fish after hatching, then eventually falls off to breed in the gravel. Raising the temperature speeds up this process, so when they fall off fairly quickly into the gravel, you suck them up and kill them when you vacuum the gravel with the frequent water changes. I'm not entirely sure that's how it works, but that's my understanding of it.

This process works apparently, so no NEED for salt or medications. It may help though.

P.S. On a side note, I noticed you use test strips. When this is over, please purchase an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Test strips are very innacurate, and are more expensive in the long run.

Hope I helped, and good luck!!
Well, as a betta and tetra keeper I am quite familiar with ich. You, my friend, do not have ich. Ich looks like a lot of SMALL WHITE SPECKLES. The size of that peice of white stuff is too large to most likely be ich. I would use Mardel Maracyn. It treats body fungus, which is what your fish probably have. If that doesn't work, check out fish disease websites, compare their photos to your fish, and self-diagnose your fish that way.

A female died. My male has doubled is size bloated, and my other female is shivering.

Niki said:
Sorry for your loss, have you tried peas for the bloating?

I do that with my Betta all the time. He love having peas for a treat.

They really aren't even eating. :( so, no I haven't tried peas.

Did you get a liquid kit? Nutrafin has a mini test kit which does ph, ammo, nitrite, and nitrate. Its really a good deal in my eyes. Did you removed the carbon from your filters right? Otherwise it would just suck all the meds up and they wouldn't be working right. Im sorry for your loss hopefully everything turns around for you

Hobgob said:
Did you get a liquid kit? Nutrafin has a mini test kit which does ph, ammo, nitrite, and nitrate. Its really a good deal in my eyes. Did you removed the carbon from your filters right? Otherwise it would just suck all the meds up and they wouldn't be working right. Im sorry for your loss hopefully everything turns around for you

Yes removed carbon filter

Got liquid test kit.

Your using meds for the fungus right? I'm sorry if I'm asking things that you already mentioned.
Also I think you said the fish weren't eating. Are they still not eating yet?

My male died over night. and his tail was almost completely gone.
My female is just shivering.
Three fry still alive.

My betta's face is looking better.

Is it finrot? Also are you following the directions on the package properly?

WIth a better picture we could have helped you more. If it didn't respond to ick and later fungicide treatements, then the only thing it could be is biotic. The maracyn-2 minocycline works well for that, but sorry its probably too late

It killed them in a matter of less than two days. It's sad. I followed/ am following the packages directions exactly. Hopefully I can save the last ones.

Back
Top Bottom