Help quickly with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got fin rot and its moving quick I've lost 7 in 24 hours and now its moved from my neons to my rasborias worried what do I do 55 gallon tank

Lots of water changes. Daily 50% changes. And, since fin rot is caused by poor water quality, I'd recommend upping your weekly water changes.

The fish that are getting it right now are all new fish I got fri could it be that

Yeah, if you just got them Friday, I'd say they came in with it. Just do lots of water changes. You could add melafix/pimafix if you wanted, not necessary but would probably benefit them some.

Yes, but IMO pima/mela is a better preventative than cure anything. Water changes and improved health are what you want to shoot for.

Can you post photos of some of the affected fish? Are there any other symptoms along with the fin rot?

They all seem fine just swimming and then I see it dead like an hour later

Any discoloration on the body, fuzzy patches, redness, anything like that?

The only one that I noticed was his tail looked like it was eaten he had like white fuzz on his tail kinda looked like his scales were falling off and he was pail in color

Just got done doing a 50% pwc because I was at 1.0 ammonia... But good news no more dead fish yet

Yeah I was going to eat dinner and then run my test and so on and so on but thank u

Ran my numbers
Ammonia .50
Nitrite/nitrate .0
Going to do another pwc here in a min hope this solves this fin rot crap

On a side note are my nitrates 0 because of my plants?

Your nitrate is zero most likely because the tank isn't cycled so nitrate isn't yet being produced.

HN1 said:
Your nitrate is zero most likely because the tank isn't cycled so nitrate isn't yet being produced.

See I've been talking about this and I had them until I put in plants I'm confused

Unless you have a densely planted tank I doubt your nitrates are bottoming out. How many plants do you have? Sounds like something is wrong with your cycle. Keep up on the PWCs and try getting into a water changing routine. For me, Sundays are my water change day in all my tanks.

meegosh said:
Unless you have a densely planted tank I doubt your nitrates are bottoming out. How many plants do you have? Sounds like something is wrong with your cycle. Keep up on the PWCs and try getting into a water changing routine. For me, Sundays are my water change day in all my tanks.

I have 14 plants in a 55 gallon and I do all my pwc on sat.when my fish fast

Back
Top Bottom