Help! Red Claw Crab attacked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 RCC's and they were living together in my tank ok for the past 4 months with the minor "scuffles" for territory but nothing ever serious. Just a few minutes ago, i heard some scuffling and went to check what was going on. The bigger RCC must've tried to attack the smallest RCC (territorial?) and I saw the little one's left claw is damaged badly. It was in an awkward position and I saw some fluid come out of it when he moved it around a bit underwater. It looks to still be intact but not sure how badly the claw is cracked. Will my RCC survive? Will he just tear off his entire claw due to the damage or will it heal (exoskeleton?) in the next few days/weeks?

Anything I should do to help him? I've taken out the larger RCC permanently and will provide him/her with it's own smaller tank (plastic container).

I see the small one is just sitting now and looks to be having some water or bubbles coming out of his mouth and his right claw is holding his left claw still.

He mat lose the claw, but will grow a new one. Keep him well fed and his ware in good condition.

he's moved around a bit in the same spot and so far his claw is still attached. I can't see it clearly and I don't want scare him and force him to move more, but it's not dangling or anything, just i saw a big crack where some fluid was coming out underwater when he moved that arm around. He's sitting still now, both claws tucked in.

If he is able to fold it into the normal resting position, then hopefully, the damage isn't as bad as it seemed and it may heal ok.

late lastnight I checked in on him and he was dead (upside down in the water).

I took him out and examined his body and saw that indeed his claw arm was 85% severed but still attached.

I was shocked that he just died though. Does anyone know why he may have died? Could it be shock? Stress? Or do most crabs die after having sustaining and injury to it's claw? Could he have gotten sick right after with such an open wound? Now I just want to know why he died. I, too, thought even if he loses the arm, he'd be okay. My other RCC in the tank only has one claw (i bought him that way) and is doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom