HELP: Removing Planaria in Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina) aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HELP: Removing Planaria + Hydra in Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina) aquarium

This week, from no seemingly nowhere (no new additions in MONTHS of any organisms or plants etc.) I discovered Planaria and Hydra in my neocaridina red cherry shrimp tank. The colony has recently been doing AMAZING, multiplying and molting like no other dwarf shrimp I've ever raised -- and then, almost overnight, planaria showed up on the glass and a few marimo moss balls, and have multiplied.

While I know it's simple to Google many answers to remove planaria or hydra, the reason I'm making a new post here is because: (a) it's always best to have the most updated/recent data/info, (b) shrimp specifically can be extremely sensitive to chemical and medication additives to the water, and (c) there's an advantage to receiving a multitude of advice from several sources/perspectives (the whole reason forums exist).

DETAILS:
1 - The aquarium is exclusively red cherry shrimp (neocaridina) with some ramshorn and nerite snails
2 - I've been using Azoo bio-balls, Bacter-AE, Brightwell Shrimp Code, More PS Bacteria, SL Aqua Magic Powder, Sun Grow Juvenile Shrimp Snacks. and Microbe-Lift Special Blend conditioner/bacteria

HOW CAN I SAFELY AND EFFECTIVELY REMOVE THE PLANARIA?
*Overnight I've noticed for the FIRST TIME shrimp death, at least 5-6 of my colony have died overnight.

Attachments

• planaria.jpg
    planaria.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,514
Just read a interesting article on Fishlab.com I googled how to treat Planaria. They explain in detail why your shrimp are dying and ways to treat.

Just read a interesting article on Fishlab.com I googled how to treat Planaria. They explain in detail why your shrimp are dying and ways to treat.

I read that one a few times too, it was solid. I read through 12-15 articles and visited other forums, I even went to overseas websites and blogs (Europe, Australia) to see how they combatted these infestations, safely.

There's a lot of conflicting information, pertaining specifically to "shrimp safe" methods of deworming and de-hydra'ing.

I'm going to start in the next 5 minutes with API's Aquarium Salt @ 5g/liter, which can/has eliminated hydra in 5-7 days totally -- BUT, it doesn't do much against Planaria, and the fact it takes nearly a week is concerning since I've already seen shrimp death.

Here's a solid list I came up with from researching this week:
  1. Planaria Zero (or, NO Planaria -- same active ingredient)
  2. Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer
  3. Fish Bendazole (kills Planaria AND Hydra)
  4. Panacur-C (kills Planaria AND Hydra)
  5. Liquid Co2 (Carbon) fertilizer supplement can have a small effect, indirectly, by killing excess algae growth with can be a breeding ground for worms and hydra

UPDATE

I ended up going with the API Aquarium Salt Protcol (5g/liter) along with Panacur-C Canine Dewormer (Fenbendazole), which ended up being extremely cheap, compared to EVERY other option (above), and according to all reviews 100% effective at BOTH Hydras (and) Planaria.

I read that one a few times too, it was solid. I read through 12-15 articles and visited other forums, I even went to overseas websites and blogs (Europe, Australia) to see how they combatted these infestations, safely.

There's a lot of conflicting information, pertaining specifically to "shrimp safe" methods of deworming and de-hydra'ing.

I'm going to start in the next 5 minutes with API's Aquarium Salt @ 5g/liter, which can/has eliminated hydra in 5-7 days totally -- BUT, it doesn't do much against Planaria, and the fact it takes nearly a week is concerning since I've already seen shrimp death.

Here's a solid list I came up with from researching this week:
  1. Planaria Zero (or, NO Planaria -- same active ingredient)
  2. Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer
  3. Fish Bendazole (kills Planaria AND Hydra)
  4. Panacur-C (kills Planaria AND Hydra)
  5. Liquid Co2 (Carbon) fertilizer supplement can have a small effect, indirectly, by killing excess algae growth with can be a breeding ground for worms and hydra

UPDATE

I ended up going with the API Aquarium Salt Protcol (5g/liter) along with Panacur-C Canine Dewormer (Fenbendazole), which ended up being extremely cheap, compared to EVERY other option (above), and according to all reviews 100% effective at BOTH Hydras (and) Planaria.

Great to hear that and hope things go well.

What a nightmare! Double nightmare. I shudder just looking at that.

I used the fenbendazole once before successfully when I exposed a tank to hydra. I didn't have shrimp, but I've heard stories from people whose shrimp did okay with it. I hope your shrimp make it and that it's successful in killing both infestations, quickly.

SUCCESS!!

I wanted to update everyone on the short version of the total success I had this week, following the plan I devised after researching for hours upon hours:

1 - Treat the water with a steady trickle introduction of 2-3g/liter of aquarium salt (you can do the conversions per gallon easily if you live in America using online calcs). Introduce the salt over an 8-hour+ period.

2 - Dose 225mg ACTIVE INGREDIENT from Panacur-C (Fenbendazole). Make SURE you're not merely measuring the raw powder itself from the packets this dog deworming medication comes in, but rather measure the dosages precisely using a digital scale accurate at least tot he 0.00 decimal placing.
2b - This took a lot of math, ratios, and calculation checks on my end to make sure I knew precisely how much active was in how much raw powder of Panacur-C. Send me a PM if you'd like all my hand-written notes and arithmetic.

3 - Dissolve the appropriate amount of ACTIVE Panacur-C into a solution of your choosing; I chose Prime, Microbe-Lift Special Blend, and a vitamin/amino acid aquarium supplement (my solution was fully dissolved in 15 min)

3b - Repeat the above dosing into the water precisely after 24 hours (a 2nd FULL dose)

THAT'S IT!

100% of all planaria and hydra were shriveled up, dead, and ultimately fell off the glass!!

NOTE: I experienced ZERO shrimp (or snail) death, at all! I was surprised, and removed my nerites to be safe, but found a remaining nerite this morning, which was unaffected (and again, I dosed TWICE at full strength, over 48 hours)

Back
Top Bottom