Help Replacing HOB with Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a used Eheim canister filter that will replace my 2 HOB's (AquaClear 70 and Penguin 330).

Can I take out all the ceramic rings and seachem matrix from the 2 HOB and throw it in my canister?

Or would I need slowly transfer media from my 2 HOB's to the canister for several weeks?

I am seeking the best and safest route to not upset the balance of my tank.

Thanks

What size tank is this? I see that you have two filters on it... you might canalize the filter media on one of them to seed your canister and let it run in parallel to the other one for a few weeks then let it take over. There might be a small ammonia increase, but nothing unmanagable,

The other option is to hook all three up for a spell and let it sit for a month or so.

It's a 40 gallon.

And it is a Eheim 2028 canister filter. So the filtration capacity shouldn't be an issue. It's rated for tanks up to 158 gallons.

I also purposely added in half liter of Seachem Matrix in my Penguin 330 three weeks ago just to build up beneficial bacteria.

My other filter is a AquaClear 70 with ceramic rings.

Back
Top Bottom