Help setting up 10 gallon saltwater hospital tank as cheap but effective as possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rx330

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to setup a 10 gallon saltwater hospital tank and leave it in my 4 year olds bedroom. This way he can have a tank that will house fish whenever they are sick, but I dont want to spend a lot of money.

I anticipate fish being in there for 3 - 5 days when being medicated, so to put live aquarium sand or other expensive items in, does not make financial sense to me.

I presently have a 1 inch long yellowtail damsel that has a puffy cloudy eye, with a scrape or two from being chased by a bigger damsel, and I wanted to isolate him and treat him, which is what is stemming this discussion now. Originally I thought a big glass fishbowl with saltwater, and medicate for 2-3 days as is.

I can get an empty 10g tank on sale for $15 at Petco

1. Do I need a hood with light
2. Do I need a filter/powerhead - if yes, whats the least expensive
3. Most complete setups that come with a filter, heater, etc, seem to be geared more for freshwater. Can I use one of those for saltwater, like those 10g Aqueon Deluxe Aquarium Packages.

Would someone be willing to break out an item list of what is MANDATORY for a saltwater hospital tank please ?

Hello,
You wouldnt want sand or rock in there anyways since most meds will kill the bacteria. I would get an AquaClear HOB to provide circulation and as a way to add filter media (carbon) for when you need to clear the water of the meds they are not the cheapest, but seem to be the easiest to use and have a decent all around build quality. They cost a a few dollars more and are worth it! I went the cheaper route and wound up replacing TWO different HOB filters before getting the AquaClear...Add a decent heater and thats all you need. No need for a hood or light or anything except maybe something to keep a jumper from carpet surfing.

Also, add something as a hiding place. A CLEAN PVC coupling should do nicely...

See, very cheap and basic!

I would make sure your son cannot reach the tank as I have read too mnay stories of little ones trying to help out when they learn of a sick fish or a tank in need. ;)

Good luck with your fish! Sounds like he needs some Pimafix or Melafix or whatnot along with good water quality. Youll want to check the tank water for ammonia daily and do PWC to bring it down.

Matt

I just purchased a JEBO 5 gallon tank for my Quarantine Tank,
Came with lighting and a filter system all for $40 new!

Plus I added some moonlighting LED's to give it some home feeling

I just added some Copper Meds and a reg. filter !

I even added a Tetra Heater for $10 more to keep it at 78*

YouTube - Quarantine Tank

Are those 4 clowns going into the same tank? I really want to get two black clowns, but I already have two percula in my 75 and I heard thats bad news :(

I might be wrong here, but wouldnt carbon nullify the effects of the medication you're trying to use?

Yes, hopefull the carbon will remove all of the meds. This is done after the treatment is done. A lot of the meds direct the user to run carbon 48hours or so after treatment.

Matt

Are those 4 clowns going into the same tank? I really want to get two black clowns, but I already have two percula in my 75 and I heard thats bad news :(

yes, they are 4 Black Percula's and they all get along !

here is one,

Should Add the Ceramic Bio to the filter system or just the Filter ?:confused:

Just a couple of thoughts (from a mom):
I find that fish in quarantine/hospital tanks require a lot of observation - and I do a lot of my observing after my children have gone to bed - so I would personally hesitate to keep in the child's room. Also, many sick fish don't survive - and if my 5 year old was more attached because it was in his room, this would potentially create a lot of unnecessary tears. But your child/situation may be different.
Also - I have found that when I have fish in quarantine or hospital, it is RARELY for just a few days - often requires 1-4 weeks of attention. IME.

Back
Top Bottom