Help sexing blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The picture doesnt help lol, but males tend to be bigger and females get red on their stomach. Also, females get a bump on their stomach, its their egg tube.

Once it reaches breeding maturity (3-4 months old), your GBR will have spots on both sides. Males have completely black/opaque spots while females have a blue sheen to their spot. I would find a female/male by going to your LFS and ask them to grab you one of the gender you need OR go and sex them yourself and request it specifically. :)

Tell me if you have any other questions.

Good luck! - Raymond

Looks like a male but most cameras suck at picking up sheen... Probably a male though. Females may also have the spots that yours has around the spot, but in the spot.

Yeah...it has shiny blue spots around the inside of the black spot but not really "inside"...and no pink belly. So I'm thinking its a male? But it's dorsal rays aren't that long...but still guessing its a male as it looks like it's still young.

Thanks for the link icy, but quick question...do all females have a pink belly? I want to make sure i actually get a female instead of another male. And do they have blue in, like, the center? Or around? I'm pretty bad at this stuff lol

Females will have shimmering black spots (slightly blue), may have the dots in the spot, and will get a pink belly at... 4-5 months of age I believe.

Glad to help, - Raymond

Back
Top Bottom