Help! Sick adf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my adf since 12/29, and it has been an active little bugger. I got it to join the adf I already had once I learned they liked companionship. 2 days ago, it started nibbling at me and sitting in my hand if I reached into the tank for something. Then he spent a lot of time floating at the top. I read that is normal, but tested my water jic. Amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 5 and 10. Then today, he started laying on the bottom of the tank upside down. He would get up and swim around, go up for air, etc, but then go on it's back again. I read the females do this after spawning, bit from what I can tell they are both female... Is it too late did I lose her? I separated her from the tank. She moves if you touch her, but will put herself right back on her back. What should I do?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm trying to attach a pic...

Attachments

• 1390414814468.jpg
    1390414814468.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 108
I have some ideas, but it would help if you gave more information.

What size tank do you have them in?
How often do you change the water and by how much?
Do you know your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
What do you feed them? Are they hand fed?

If they are not getting the proper nutrition, they can become ill just like any other creature. ADFs need a high protein diet. Their staple food should be a good quality pellet, with frozen blood worms or brine shrimp used as a treat maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Another issue with dwarf frogs is that, while they do enjoy company, they do not share food. If one frog gets to the food first, the other will not fight for it. This means that unless you are hand feeding your frogs, it is likely that one frog may be starving. Hand feeding them ensures that they both are getting food.

Here is the link to how I make a good nutritional food for my frog: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/frog-jello-3559.html

He is hand fed daily with this food and fed 3 or 4 frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms 2 to 3 times a week.

They are in a 13 gallon tank with a snail and 5 neon tetras. I have several live plants with the most recent addition being a java fern. I do a 50% water change once a week, unless I need to do another one. Last WC was on Saturday. Tested the water yesterday and amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 5 and 10. I hand fed him yesterday, but he just nibbled. Usually I feed the fish first, then put frog pellets right next to each frog. Once or twice a week, I use a sinking wafer for each frog. This is the smallest of the 2, as I've had the other 1 for about 7 mos, but it as gotten significantly bigger since I've had it.

Forgot to mention, water temp stays right around 79°

Are there any other visible signs of illness besides her behavior? Has her color changed or anything like that?

I'm really not too familiar with many ADF diseases, sorry I can't be of more help. It sounds like you have done everything right thus far though.

No other signs. I'm worried that I might have killed her by holding her? She would just swim right into my hand, but I always kept her underwater... :(

I don't think that would have hurt her unless you were squeezing her or something, but I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

You did mention that you got her recently. She may have just been too damaged by poor water quality at the store you bought her from. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. :(

I wouldn't give up on her yet though. Someone else may jump in and know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it.

So our other adf died this morning (maybe last night) :( We've had her for about 8 mos, so it's really sad. Again, no sign of disease. I researched the heck out of add diseases, and they didn't have anything. Water parameters were great, this one was eating for sure, and was growing. Probably won't be doing frogs again...

Oh no! That is strange. It is possible that they could have both just had something from the pet store. Are the fish still acting normal and looking healthy? What conditioner are you using?

Fish still looking great! One even has eggs! They were begging for food when I went in to get the frog and test the water. Using aqueon water conditioner. Maybe it was the plant fertilizer? Using api leaf zone, but was told the amt of copper was so minimal that I could still use it with RCS...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom