Help sick anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an anemone that is about 1 year old. He has been healthy and happy until just these last few days. Now he is shrivelled up in his (foot? or bottom). In the past few monthes I have had an algea problem and I have been really working hard to get everything back to normal. I have been using R/O water and aging the salt water and doing regular changes and everything has been so healthy and happy. Water tests are good. The only change is that one of my clown fish discouvered him in the last few weeks (she's been in the tank for a year too) and since then he has been moving around in the tank. Usually he is about the size of a saucer, now he is a small ball with a few wisps of tentacles sometimes hanging out. It's so sad.

My reef tank is about 2 years old.

Any ideas how to help him?

Thank you
Betsy

We need more information: Aquarium size? Filtration? Lighting? Water parameters? Feeding routine? Inhabitants? Anemone specie?

How large of water changes have you been performing lately? Too many variables to consider at this point in time, but with some questions answered there can be a set point :)

If your clown just started hosting it..it just may be irritated with all the recent attention...

But we really need water parameters and pics to be sure.

I agree that more info is needed but the clown could be too rough for it. Irritating it as Marc said.

Wow -- guess what????!!! He's now doing well. He looks healthy and wonderful. I think maybe it was my clown. She is relentliss when it comes to her mate or her anemone (She hardly left the first anemone's side).

I am sooooo happy.

I am doing a water change today and all the tests so if anything is out I will let everyone know.

Thank you everyone, but I think my crisis is over. I probably over react to anything out of the ordinary when it comes to my salt water tank. I really appriciate how fast everyone is at responding. I hope some day I will have information to share as this is such a valuable site and has helped me so much!
Betsy

Having an anemone for the last couple years, I have found that they tend to 'ball up' on occasion. Unless it is visibly deteriorating, leave it. As you have discovered, its just another phase it goes through and may continue to do so once a week, month, etc.

Back
Top Bottom