HELP!!Sick Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin_42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I really need some advice. I will try to make a long story short. Due to a power outage I lost too much of my beneficial bacteria and had the nitrogen cycle start over in a long established tank.. I took notice when my smaller fish stopped swimming around and sat still on the bottom.I immediately tested the water and got a reading of .50 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I done a large water change to help with the ammonia. I continued smaller water water changes daily and used prime. The ammonia levels never went above .25ppm again. After about 6 weeks it cycled again. My fish did not seem stressed.Anyway I have had a 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and low nitrate reading. Everything looks good now for the last 5 days. BUT when I got up this morning one of my fish was on the bottom of the tank and he is laying with a "bowed" body. I thought he was dead several times today, but he is still breathing. Not eating, nothing other than a wiggle here or there.. same "bowed" position all day on the bottom of the tank. Is there anything I can do for this? Is it the effects of the nitrogen cycle? I hate to see him this way. I have had him for many years and it kills me to do nothing :( Advice please!!!!

I don't have another tank, but I have a bucket , should I take him out of the big tank? I have a 55 gallon tank. Just not sure what to do here:blink:

Hi Robin! Can I ask what type of goldfish is affected? How old he may be? Do any of your other fish have any symptoms? Can also please post your ph? Thanks!

Yes, he is a common gold fish. about 3 inches long.I tested my pH last night and it showed 7.6 which is the farthest that the API test kit goes. The high range pH was around 7.8.. My fan tail seems to be ok, he was flitting around a bit quickly for a few minutes last night, but seems to be calm this morning. I have been doing small water changes since the tank cycled again around 15-20 percent.

Back
Top Bottom