HELP! Spots on silk plants!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I already posted this and no one responded. There's reddish brown spots on the top leaf of the big silk plant in my betta tank. It's an Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon with heater, filter, and lighted hood. I change water weekly and the only fish in there is my elephant ear betta. What is causing this? Do I need to cut the leaf off, remove the whole plant, or is it fine?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407168609.179059.jpg

Looks to be along the lines of dirty leaf. No harm. Just clean it off! If your super nervous about it cut that stem as close to the base of plant as possible without cutting any of the other stems.

I don't think that's necesary though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agree with above posters, looks like normal aging/algae growth that is common for silk plants to go through. Pull it out and clean it. You can do this either with hot water and scrubbing with a toothbrush that you only use for fish stuff, or by soaking the plant in bleach/hydrogen peroxide, rinsing well, and then soaking in a bucket of clean water with Prime or some other dechlorinator for a few hours until all lingering chemical smells are gone.

Back
Top Bottom