Help Stocking Top-Level Swimmers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hellohello!

I'm looking for some peaceful top-swimming fish to add to my 35g community tank. Something colourful would be nice but I know that's not always possible. Anything with some character would be appreciated just as much!

Tank Specs:
35.5g (36" x 12" x 19")
AquaClear 70 Filter
76 degrees currently

Current Stocking:
1 ABN Pleco
5 Blushing Tetras
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
6 Diamond Tetras

The filter does create some current at the top, so that should probably come into consideration. AqAdvisor puts me at 71% stocking. Tank is not planted.

I've been considering the following but I keep waffling back and forth. Any experience/guidance/advice when it comes to these fish?

6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3-4 Honey Gouramis
3-4 Male Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Danios of some kind
1 Angelfish

Of course I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Guppies IMHO would be a good choice as long as you have full schools of your other tetras.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Furcata or Threadfin rainbows would be a good top dwelling choice. Marble hatchets are another option as long as you have a lid.

I agree with Caliban07, Rasboras are pretty cool, mind their own business and small enough for the 29 gallon

Hatchet fish, but be careful because they jump. Also some danios. They are always swimming and are very energetic!

I second the vote for Threadfin Rainbows. They can get quite colorful as they mature, and in large numbers (8+) the males will constantly be doing fin flicking displays to drive off other males and attract the girls. They're quite fun to watch!

I would go with a gourami of some sort, since you do not have a centerpiece fish. Or a school of danios or harlequins would be nice if you like action in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom