Help! Substrate recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a new 35gal to use as my breeder tank for my matured pair of angel fish. I'd like to do a planted tank, since I'm addicted to the planted portion of the hobby. :)

In my main tank I have natural looking gravel, and the plants do okay with root tabs and ferts.

In my 10gal fry tank I used eco complete, the black one, and it seems so light that its difficult to keep small plants rooted down where they are supposed to be.

What do you all recommend for the 35gal breeding tank? I'd like to stay with black, but I'm worried about sand strangling out the roots.

Help! :)

With the ecocomplete it might be a lack of depth or planting technique issue. Another thing that can help is plant weights.

Sand works fine, remember these plants grow in far more compacted areas in the wild.

I like Eco-complete and soil with Eco-complete cap. I don't have problems with keeping plants down in it at all.

Rivercats said:
I like Eco-complete and soil with Eco-complete cap. I don't have problems with keeping plants down in it at all.

Same here, I just use the Eco complete. Plants stay in place.

I think Jetajockey is right... I don't have the ecocomplete deep enough to plant correctly. I'll try thickening my substrate layer in my ten and see how that works.

Thanks everyone!

I also like dirt bottom with sand cap. Sand by itself with roots tabs works for me also. If you use dirt just make sure your cap is deep enough or you will run into some mucky water issues.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think I'm gonna take a deep breath and make the plunge into a dirt tank, with a black sand cap. It will be my angel breeder, and I'll go heavily planted. Wish me luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom