!!!!!!HELP!!!!! swordtail dying!!!!!!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My swordtail scales are flaring out and his tail has something making it pop out on the left side!!!!! HELP POOR LITTLE FISHIE. :(

CRY TEAR CRY TEAR CRY TEAR CRY TEAR

Can you get a picture?
What are you water parameters, and "fine" isn't an answer, we need numbers please.

Scales popping out can be bloat, constipation or dropsy.

If you look down at the swordtail, does it look like a pinecone?

Can you get a picture?
What are you water parameters, and "fine" isn't an answer, we need numbers please.

Scales popping out can be bloat, constipation or dropsy.

If you look down at the swordtail, does it look like a pinecone?

yes pine cone and i don't have any way to measure the levels.

Unfortunately this sounds like dropsy, which has a poor prognosis for a cure. Dropsy isn't exactly a disease, but a symptom of another problem. It is usually caused when the fish begins retaining too many fluids due to kidney shutdown.

Many times this is caused by an internal infection. A quarantine tank is advised while treating the fish. Cures are not reliable with dropsy. The only one I know of is to feed the fish an antibiotic food and treat the water with a strong medication for gram-negative bacterial infections. A salt or Epsom salt bath can help draw the extra fluids out of the fish and bring the swelling down. Add 2-1/2 to 3 tsp/gallon of water.

This is usually caused from a water quality issue or stress to the fish that lowers their immunity to disease. I believe that this is a likely culprit in your case as you don't know your water parameters. Do a 50% PWC immediately.

Like DragonFish said, you need to get an API test kit to keep an eye on your water parameters. If your ammonia reads anything above .25ppm or nitrates are above 20ppm, you have a problem. NO amount of ammonia is acceptable, but .25 ppm is barely acceptable for short periods.

Unfortunately this sounds like dropsy, which has a poor prognosis for a cure. Dropsy isn't exactly a disease, but a symptom of another problem. It is usually caused when the fish begins retaining too many fluids due to kidney shutdown.

Many times this is caused by an internal infection. A quarantine tank is advised while treating the fish. Cures are not reliable with dropsy. The only one I know of is to feed the fish an antibiotic food and treat the water with a medication for gram-negative bacterial infections. A salt or Epsom salt bath can help draw the extra fluids out of the fish and bring the swelling down. Add 2-1/2 to 3 tsp/gallon of water.

This is usually caused from a water quality issue or stress to the fish that lowers their immunity to disease. I believe that this is a likely culprit in your case as you don't know your water parameters. Do a 50% PWC immediately.

Like DragonFish said, you need to get an API test kit to keep an eye on your water parameters. If your ammonia reads anything above .25ppm or nitrates are above 20ppm, you have a problem. NO amount of ammonia is acceptable, but .25 ppm is barely acceptable for short periods.

i put the salt in and he's in fishbowl for now. I have a petsmart near me Pet Supplies, Pet Accessories, and Many Pet Products | PetSmart can u tell me what they sell thats good? PLEASE?!?!?!

I'm not an expert on medicated foods, I believe that Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food would be OK to use in conjunction with Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

I would find either a larger container for that fish, or do a 50% PWC of the water in that bowl daily to keep ammonia from building in it. Treat the water after the PWC. Try to keep from stressing your fish too much. It is the last thing he needs right now. Also try to make sure that he stays warm. At least above 85F. This keeps him from being chilled and makes it harder on the bacteria. You may need to find someway to keep the water aerated as well.

I'm not an expert on medicated foods, I believe that Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food would be OK to use in conjunction with Jungle Fungus Eliminator.

I would find either a larger container for that fish, or do a 50% PWC of the water in that bowl daily to keep ammonia from building in it. Treat the water after the PWC. Try to keep from stressing your fish too much. It is the last thing he needs right now. Also try to make sure that he stays warm. At least above 85F. This keeps him from being chilled and makes it harder on the bacteria. You may need to find someway to keep the water aerated as well.

i have a battery operated aerator that i can use. as for heat idk what i am going to do. i have a light bulb that gives off a lot of heat i may use that. is that fine?

Dropsy is generally not contagious in itself. It is a symptom of another problem that exists in the fish. It usually results from an infection the fish acquires when living in a tank with incorrect water parameters. In other words awter that contains too much ammonia, nitrItes or nitrtAtes.

The best way to prevent this is to do regular PWC in your tank of at least 15% a week. This can be done after you vacuum the substrate of all the excess gunk that builds up there, which should also be done weekly.

Get an API test kit and check your water parameters weekly to avoid problems. You can catch a lot of bad things before they happen if you know what your water parameters are.

I your parameters are bad now, and I suspect that they are, you should probably do a 50% PWC to help correct them. It would be much better though if you knew what you were dealing with BEFORE you do this though.

Dropsy is generally not contagious in itself. It is a symptom of another problem that exists in the fish. It usually results from an infection the fish acquires when living in a tank with incorrect water parameters. In other words awter that contains too much ammonia, nitrItes or nitrtAtes.

The best way to prevent this is to do regular PWC in your tank of at least 15% a week. This can be done after you vacuum the substrate of all the excess gunk that builds up there, which should also be done weekly.

Get an API test kit and check your water parameters weekly to avoid problems. You can catch a lot of bad things before they happen if you know what your water parameters are.

I your parameters are bad now, and I suspect that they are, you should probably do a 50% PWC to help correct them. It would be much better though if you knew what you were dealing with BEFORE you do this though.

from the website i was given by DRAGONFISH i concluded it was dropsy. i also called by lfs and told them what it looks like, etc and they said dropsy.

Right now i have the aerator and the lamp on the tank.

i have a battery operated aerator that i can use. as for heat idk what i am going to do. i have a light bulb that gives off a lot of heat i may use that. is that fine?

A closely watched heating pad would be much better. Use a thermometer to keep an eye on your water temp. Try not to let it go above 88-90F if you can. That wouldn't be good for your fish. The light bulb idea makes me a little uncomfortable.

Just be sure that the aerator you use doesn't roil the water so much that is rolling him around in the bowl. A gentle flow is best. If you don't have a valve to restrict the flow, kink the hose slightly until you get a gentle flow that isn't too strong and DUCT TAPE it down so it won't move or change. It isn't pretty, but I've used it in a pinch.

Any of you old timers of the forum have anything to add to my suggestions here?

A closely watched heating pad would be much better. Use a thermometer to keep an eye on your water temp. Try not to let it go above 88-90F if you can. That wouldn't be good for your fish. The light bulb idea makes me a little uncomfortable.

Just be sure that the aerator you use doesn't roil the water so much that is rolling him around in the bowl. A gentle flow is best. If you don't have a valve to restrict the flow, kink the hose slightly until you get a gentle flow that isn't too strong and DUCT TAPE it down so it won't move or change. It isn't pretty, but I've used it in a pinch.

Any of you old timers of the forum have anything to add to my suggestions here?

but the heating pad IN or UNDER the fishbowl???

but the heating pad IN or UNDER the fishbowl???

Around or under is better. Something else I forgot to tell you. Don't combine any medications with the salt. The salt is only a bath to place him in temporarily to draw out the fluids. Don't combine salt treatment with medications. They don't work well together.

It's time to say a few words.

Dear Mr. Fishie you have been a nice, friendly, and of course the most colorful of all. You will always be in my heart and my desktop background.

If you guys haven't figured it out by now Mr. Fishie
died this morning.
I thank everyone for there help but the little guy just didn't make it. His passing time was 8:39am.

Dropsy is usually a killer if you're unprepared for it. My Betta succumbed to it recently which was a pain in the balls cause he was one of 3 'main' fish in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom