Help ten gal tank full of.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I have a ten gal tank which was for my guppy fry but was now turned into a healing tank for my two sick neon tetras... The tank was sitting fully cycled with only two ottos for about a month. Recently I noticed an algae bloom on all the walls of my tank, however I thought the ottos would take care of it. I noticed that my two old neon tetras had a blister on them, I got nervous so I moved them to my ten gal and took the ottos out. Tonight I looked in on them and noticed very small white spots moving on the driftwood. Like 20-30... I got nervous and looked at the back of the tank and when I saw the wall with the algae on it, it was absolutely filled with these white pencil dots moving all over. The tank is infested. This tank is a year old and is fully cycled. I have never seen this before and am freezing out my room is going to be infested with so,e freek parasite bug that will hop out of the tank. Please help lol what is it... I would post a picture but it says I have used up my allotted space how do I delete pictures so I can post new ones? Thanks for the help. Dan

Omg there in the gravel... There swimming in the water... There in every nook and crany. There every where. I just did a water change Friday they weren't in ther!

I have little white dot things in my tank. They hop around like fleas and They seem harmless, but if you want to get rid of them just water change.

They are probably copepods. They are harmless.

As for the algae, how long do you leave the lights on every day?

Here are the usual suspects:
YPJpUtv.jpg

Top left: Copepod
Top right: Seed Shrimp/Ostracod
Bottom left: Daphnia/Water flea
Bottom right: Amphipod/Gammarus spp

If they hop, then the two on the left. If very small, then top left.

If they swim/crawl, then the two on the right with the top one being much smaller than the bottom one.

Most likely they are present because of an abundant food source (over feeding the fish). All are eaten by fish. None pose a threat to fish although there are parasitic versions of SW copepods.

I have little white dot things in my tank. They hop around like fleas and They seem harmless, but if you want to get rid of them just water change.

Just so you know a WC won't get rid of any of these. Often times you don't even know you have them unless the gravel is disturbed or a food source brings them out of the substrate.

Don't panic ! They harmless and they regularize your aquarium setup. If you overfeed, they'll eat uneated food and convert into ammonia. Thoses things eat algaes 2.

So starve the fish, and water change? To minimize the population? I only saw two in there after staring for an hour. But recently my dad has been feeding them without telling me. That would explain why I just noticed these guys.

Thanks guys it's amazing how many are in there in such little time... After my water change and vacuuming the gravel it must have disturbed them. Does anyone know why when I try to
Post a picture it says exceeds your quota. It's been saying this for a while now.

Thanks guys it's amazing how many are in there in such little time... After my water change and vacuuming the gravel it must have disturbed them. Does anyone know why when I try to
Post a picture it says exceeds your quota. It's been saying this for a while now.

You can't delete old pic's on this forum so when you've used your allotted amount you have to load pic's in an album on your page and post a link or load pic's to an outside source like Photo Bucket and post a link to that.

Back
Top Bottom