help the noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

methalorange

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just recieved a free 20G tank
but it came with nothing - just a bare tank

i know i need filters, heat, lights, etc
but could someone maybe go though everythign a bit more specific for me

what EXACTLY do i need? and also what types (as i know there are a lot of different types of filters and heat etc.) ?

im new and want to save as much money as possible by buying the right equipmet the first time

oh and the tank is eventualy going to hold cichlids - probably convicts to start
so with that info i hope someone can help me get started

thanks

Welcome to AA :d :D :D

you may find that cichlids in a 20 gal may be a bit crowded. Cichlids grow large and are voracious eaters and being in a small tank may stunt their growth. You will need a heater of sufficient power - if you look around the LFS you may find a tank starter kit of the same size. Get a heater like one in that. For a filter get a fluval 3 - or if that is too big, try a 2. Unless you go for a powerhead and plug it into an underwater mechanism. You will need a UV light - choose carefully as different lights affect the tank. Like Sun-glo is good for fish, yet Flora-glo is best for a planted tank. 8O
If you are new to the hobby try something simple unless you have been good and done all your research. 20G is a decent sized tank so if you cant afford the heater, you could fit 2 goldfish in that. :)
HTH

Hi meth im holton iv had cichlids all my life so if you have any questions about cichlids pm /personal message me. you might have trouble with cichlids in a 20 but if you get the right ones youll be fine.
you'll need a cover with two 23 watt lights or around there.
you'll need a 100 watt heater or two 50 watts.
sorry I dont know about filters. :( but I sudgest an under grou nd filter with a tube that hucks up to the hang on the back filter.
but I need to know what cichlid they are to tell about decor. :(

I reccomend you getting the equipment online. Even with shipping you'll find it to be much cheaper than anything you can get at a lfs. Try http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/. I've bought from them a few times and so far haven't encountered any problems. Go with any 100w heater (avoid radiant if you can, but if your really on a tight budget you'll be fine), an Aquaclear 200 power filter (the fluvals that ploughking suggested would work too, but they are much more expensive, especially for canadians). You'll also need a flourescent canopy (the most expensive part). Accessories(nets, filter media, conditioners, and thermometers) are also much cheaper online. Good luck with the new tank!

Is it a 20 regular 24" long or a 20L 30" long?
If you plan on having live plants get plenty of light wattage. 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon. twin tube or compact flourescent light strip. 30 to 40 watts. And a glass canopy.
AquaClear and Penguin filters are both good.
The fully submersable heaters are generally better than the hob heaters. 75 to 100 watt.

Unless you're planning on going with a planted tank, a basic flourescent light strip will be fine. You can get either a plastic or glass canopy. I prefer glass, but the plastic ones are a good bit cheaper and will work just as well. Just make sure you get one that covers the entire top of the tank.

IMO, getting a quality SUBMERSIBLE heater is the single most important thing for you to do. Cheap heaters WILL fail/malfunction. Period. Anyone that hasn't had this happen to them is living on borrowed time (I learned the hard way when a cheap HOB heater stuck in the "ON" position and cooked my tank at 97F). I'd recommend an Ebo Jager submersible heater, or one of the Deluxe Visi-Therm submersibles. I've got an Ebo that's almost 12 years old and it's still running perfectly! As far as wattage goes, you'll be fine with 75 watts.

I'm a big fan of Millenium and Aqua Clear filters. I'm about to be an on-line heretic- but I don't like Penguin or the Bio Wheel filters. I've never had one that didn't burn out after a year or so- and those wheels always clog up and/or get really noisy. I've got Milleniums and ACs that are over eight years old and are still going strong.

With cichlids, you can either use sand or gravel as a substrate (I prefer sand). Decor can consist of driftwood, rock, NEW terra cotta pots, etc. Most plants won't survive a cichlid tank, as they like to dig/rearrange the substrate. I use java fern and java moss attached to wood and rocks in my cichlid tanks.

I'd be worried about keeping cons in a 20 gallon tank. Some better cichlid choices would be kribensis, Bolivian rams, or perhaps some jewels.

Hope this helps.:)

Steven

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom