Help to ID a snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a piece of driftwood from petco and took it out of the water and found this little guy. Does anyone have an idea what it is? Thank your your help in advance.

Attachments

• image-3598698673.jpg
    image-3598698673.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image-502724918.jpg
    image-502724918.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a pond snail to me. If I were you, I would scrub your drift wood, unless you boiled it already, to remove possible eggs. Their eggs look like a white jelly and are easy to remove. If it is just the one snail you can keep it if you want as it can't reproduce, but if there is more than one, you might get an infestation.

Looks like a pond snail to me. If I were you, I would scrub your drift wood, unless you boiled it already, to remove possible eggs. Their eggs look like a white jelly and are easy to remove. If it is just the one snail you can keep it if you want as it can't reproduce, but if there is more than one, you might get an infestation.

Thank you. That's kind of what I was leaning toward was a pond snail. I didn't boil it yet but after seeing that I will be now before adding it to my 125 gallon.

They are a source of food in my tank for my pea puffer. So I breed them on purpose by over feeding but he is very efficient and wipes out the population pretty fast. Otherwise they only aid in cleaning algae but I don't think they are a good choice as cleaners due to their massive reproduction rate.

I would pluck the little fellow and whisper goodnight, smish him and flick him out in the garden. ;)

Are pond snails beneficial in anyway or just a pain?

They are beneficial eating decaying veg and uneaten food. But too much food source increases the brood and they are a pain to get rid of. I have them in my 10 gallon and kill about 5-10 a week and leave them in the tank for my fish to snack on, and I remove the eggs they lay in my CO2 dispenser every week. Just remember, they contain both sex organs and will reproduce only if there is another snail present. One pond snail can't reproduce with itself.

Back
Top Bottom