Help to ID these please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blairw75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I everyone,
Was wondering If someone could help ID these cichlids for me. I just picked them up off a friend today. I swapped them for my silver dollars that where getting to big for my setup.

Have a look and see if you know cheers

Attachments

• image-2300076456.jpg
    image-2300076456.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1923114905.jpg
    image-1923114905.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-4215616200.jpg
    image-4215616200.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 104
I agree on 2 & 3, the first one could be a brichardi, "fairy" cichlid. It looks like it has the long fins like a fairy cichlid.

First 2 Pics are Metriaclima estherae (red zebra) Male and female and agree with the others last pic is a jewel :)

You really think that first one is a red zebra? I don't see it. Look at the fins, especially the bottom fin. It's much longer then a zebra which is why I think it might be a fairy cichlid, brichardi or something like that.

Curious to hear what others say as I'm not that good at ID'ing but I really don't think the first 2 are the same type.

Yes they are dimorphic, you will find a lot of Mbuna are dimorphic nicosia :). Craig he's 100% male his pelvic fins are long yes but he looks to be a dominant male, you will find some male species (metriaclima species especially) do grow very long finage as they become adults/dominant fish. Most fish's fins in home aquariums get slightly nipped not giving them chance to grow to their full potential.

Thanks for explaining, you learn a new thing every day!!! Yeah, none of my red zebras have long fins but that explains it.

Hey thanks everyone. I can't believe how quick you all replied!
Wow heaps of knowledgable people around here.
Now I can tell my kids what type of fish we have, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom