HELP! Trying to trap a mantis stowaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alkatdave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have had it for about 5 months now. Everything is going great. I have some grape corals, leather, bubble coral, a clown fish, two anthias, a wrasse,zebra eel, three shrimp and a whole cleaning crew. A couple of weeks ago I saw something try to eat the shrimp I was feeding my eel and finally identified it as a mantis shrimp. He is living in one of my live rock that is on the top part of my tank. I purchased a trap for it and have no success in trying to trap it. Any ideas on how I could trap this thing. I am trying to do this with out removing the rock because the coral that is attached to the rock is thriving and I really don't want to disturb it. Any help or suggestions, please!

Take a tall glass and prop it up against a rock. Toss in some food. It'll end up going after the food at some point and be unable to escape due to the glass sides being slopped.

Keith, that's the trap I have. It hasn't been working for me. I really don't want to lose the coral I have on the rock.

Keith, that's the trap I have. It hasn't been working for me. I really don't want to lose the coral I have on the rock.

Too bad I thought that trap looked good. If you have a QT you can put the rock in there on top of egg crate or such and put food below and try to get it to go under and then remove the rock. Like the above mentioned glass but covers a wider area.

Try a coke bottle. Did you glue your corals to the rock? Anyway to pop them off? What corals are attached to the rock? You might be able to take the rock out and squirt fresh water in it till the shrimp comes out.

Back
Top Bottom