Help! White stuff on Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago, my gourami jumped out of his tank while I wasn't home (so he was probably out for 2 hours or more). I have since secured the top. He managed to survive the jump, but now he's got this strange white mucus-y substance all over him and he's losing more of his fins every day. Is there anything I can do?

20211121_095412.jpg

Keep the water as clean as you can. Up the water change schedule.

Stresscoat can help with helping out maintaining a healthy slime coat.

If you wanted to go further than that i would advise quarantining the fish before using aquarium salt and medication.

The white stuff will be the result of an infection picked up from being laid on the floor. Bacterial or fungal. The clean water and a fishes slime coat will assist the fish fighting off this infection.

You can go further with treatments, but i would do this in a quarantine tank. Some fish dont tolerate medication, so i wouldn't advise medicating the main tank as you would unnecessarily be treating healthy fish. Aquarium salt is another option but it looks like you have live plants and most plants wont tolerate salt.

Im from the UK and we dont have access to antibiotic treatments that other countries (eg the US) has access to, so im sorry, i cant really recommend effective medication as i have no experience on the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom