Help with 10 gallon stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 10 gallon tank from a friend of mine and plan to put one of my bettas in it. Yes yes, I know I will be sure to cycle it and everything before I put fish in it. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are as far as any other fish I could put in it. I plan to have several plants for my betta to play in and maybe some driftwod. But I was wondering what I might be able to put in there as far as tankmates for my little betta. I don't want something that will hurt him and probably something less active than cories would work best. I was thinking of possibly adding an Albino BN pleco and maybe a few shrimp. Other than that I'm not sure. If you have any suggestion on stockings let me know. Like I said, I'm just in the planning stage right now and the only thing I am sure on is the fact I will have live plants and I will have a male betta in there.

I don't think a bristle nose pleco will work in a 10g. I recommend a 20-30+ for them. Otos will work, as long as you can supplement them with algae.

Unfortunately a lot of people would say any pleco would be too large.

I do have an awesome alternative.

You could add 2 Oto Catfish, which eat algae.
You could have one or two African Dwarf Frogs,
And a couple of shrimp. All aren't very active, but the shrimp may get picked on or eaten, you'd just have to see.

Unfortunately a lot of people would say any pleco would be too large.

I do have an awesome alternative.

You could add 2 Oto Catfish, which eat algae.
You could have one or two African Dwarf Frogs,
And a couple of shrimp. All aren't very active, but the shrimp may get picked on or eaten, you'd just have to see.

I was actually just reading up on the Dwarf frogs. They sound interesting. I'll have to do some research on them. Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually going to get a BN pleco for my 20 gallon. I currently have 2 ottos in there so I could always move them to my ten gallon when it starts getting alge. :)

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I recommend heavily planting the tank and putting in some red cherry shrimp! First, though, put in about 5 ghost shrimp to make sure that your betta will get along with shrimp. You don't want to find out your betta doesn't like them after purchasing $30 worth of rcs! The ghost shrimp are about 35 cents a piece so if your betta eats them it's not a huge loss.

I have a few Ghost shrimp in my 20 gal and I love them. I think RCS would be really cool too but I'm not sure I can get them at my LFS.

you can always post a "wanted" ad in our classifieds section! There was someone selling rcs on there but I am not sure if he still has some or not. But I am sure that there will be more people out there who have some shrimp they need to give.

Oh okay, I'm still pretty new here and I didn't realize there was a "wanted" section. I'll have to check it out, thanks. :)

he can only use the classifieds section if they have written 15 posts and have been a member for 15 days.

And there's also some very nice websites to buy aquarium stock, if you have a means of purchasing online.

Back
Top Bottom