Help with a 55 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constarr58

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm worried this might be way too overstocked for my 55 gallon
Here was my plan

4-Angelfish
6-Polka-dot Loaches
1-Red-tailed Black Shark
20-Lemon Tetra
2-Dwarf Gourami

I'm unsure about the Gourami, If they cant work out id like some suggestions on mid to high level fish to replace them and the sharks reaction to the loaches. Ive heard that if the shark has a good cave it wont bother anyone, but Ive also heard the complete opposite. Ive also wondered if yoyo loaches would be a better alternative to the polka dots. I really need some advice so I can finalize my list and get this show on the road!

The red tail shark will survive in this sized tank, but will enjoy a better roaming over territory if he has around a 70+ gallon tank. It seems that they would be fine but they really do take patrolling their space seriously. all my other fish would just turn around and let the RTS go about its business.

One thing which is very useful is making routes for it to swim around. Liken it to a race track. Basically a whole area able to swim around at the bottom substrate around the perimeter. There can be cuts around and thru as well but you want to allow for the other fish to be able to take a detour. I made the next level around 1/4-1/3 above the substrate and made a kind of figure 8 path with openings in the center above where the fish gathered in shoals. But again plants Rock and DW can help you make a really interesting place for your RTS.

Dwarf Gourami, just try one. Or one of my favorites is a male Pearl Gourami. Especially not 2 males.

As for the Loaches, I am not sure which kind. But I would make sure to let them get established first before getting the RTS since they tend to get a bit pushy when they grow to near adulthood.

Angelfish will likely fight when they get to maturity age for challenging for breeding /pairing off.

Imho breeding should be done in a separate tank as the commotion of the other fish and the other fish wanting to eat the eggs or babies will be an issue.

So if you do not want another tank to set up, or rehome 1-3 of them depending upon the pair and the amount of fighting, maybe just one nice looking Angelfish.

I would have a plan of removing the pair for breeding. when you see 2 of them staying together. A lot depends upon their personalities.

Also you can check AQadvisor and see what the load is on the tank. It is a little bit conservative on stocking.

Back
Top Bottom