Help with a compete planted overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have finally decided to pull the trigger on an overhaul of a 75g tank that I've got. I just need some help to make sure I'm getting everything I need at the cheapest price possible (I'm a poor public servant). The tank is planted as it is and has high tech CF lites on it. I'm wanting to replace the rocky substrate I've got with a more plante friendly substrate like eco-complete, then add a real CO2 system to it to replace my DIY system. Then I want to add a grassy plant to form a lawn and replace all the fake stuff with real stuff.

So far this is my list:

Driftwood
CO2 regulator like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-REGULATOR-W...oryZ3212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Eco-complete - 75 lbs (or will this not be enough)
CO2 tank - but no idea how big a tank I need.

Am I missing anything? I think I can run the CO2 line directly into the input on my XP3 filter.

You will need about 150 pounds of Eco. I got mine from the good Drs and would do it again due to the shipping.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9087&N=2004+113223

I would get a 10 pound CO2 tank. It's not much more then a 5 pound and twice the size. The 10 pounder also will fit under most aquarium stands.

If you are going full tilt, I would get a CO2 reactor or look into the mist method.

Are you sure on the 150 lb mark? I've only got 90 lbs of gravel in there now and it covers the tank and gives me a slant toward the back. Can I cheat a little and mix the two substrates? Put gravel on top and eco-complete on bottom or vice versa? Also, how often do you have to fill up the 10 lb tank versus something bigger like a 20 lb. I can either pretty cheap.

Personally I wouldn't mix two different types of substrates, Eco is so good on its own. I have 80 lbs in a 55 and that gives me a suitable thickness for pretty much any type of plant roots (2-3"). I would say that you would need 120 lbs (it comes in 20 lb bags) since that is 1.5 times what I have and a 75 has 1.5 times the bottom area of a 55.

Spend some time searching online; I got most of my Eco from a place online where it was 15.99 a bag with cheap shipping. Another option is to see what your local LFS can do, sometimes they'll give you a deal if you order a bunch of bags. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the place where I ordered mine, it was a year and a half ago!

Good luck with the 75, I wish I had one!

hulkamaniac said:
Are you sure on the 150 lb mark? I've only got 90 lbs of gravel in there now and it covers the tank and gives me a slant toward the back. Can I cheat a little and mix the two substrates? Put gravel on top and eco-complete on bottom or vice versa? Also, how often do you have to fill up the 10 lb tank versus something bigger like a 20 lb. I can either pretty cheap.

Yes, I am sure about the 150 pound mark. I just put 150 lbs into my 75 gallon tank. Eco recommends 2 pounds per gallon.

You can add it to another substrate. Most people say to combine it so you maintain atleast 50% Eco. I would go the whole 100% if you have the money.

As far as how to mix or layer it depends on what you are mixing it with. Mostly it will combine together anyways.

My CO2 lasts a little more then 6 months running to two tanks (one 28 gallon and one 75 gallon). The problem with the 20 is finding a place to put it. All the 20's I have seen will not fit underneth my stand, so it would have to be placed beside it. ie eye sore. If you have access to the bottles, then measure them and see what will fit. Don't forget to leave room for the regulator.

I looked online and the measurements on the 20 are 27 x 8. I think this will lay on it's side and fit under the stand lengthwise. The only LFS I found in town that carries Eco-complete wants $35 a bag for it which strikes me as more than a little insane. Needless to say, they've had that one bag forever. The other problem I'm finding with the 10 is no one here in town sells them. It seems the most common sizes are 5 and 20. I think I can get a used 20lb tank for about $70.

I am not sure laying a CO2 tank on it's side is a good idea. Couldn't tell you why - and I may be wrong... It definitely won't work with the Milwaukee Regulator you linked to. Also - that regulator will add 2-3-inches to the total height of your co2 tank.

Any welding supplies place should have a 10lb tank... You can get an empty 10lb here for $70:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/t.htm

I put 9 bags of Eco in my 72-gallon -- I think I could have gone with a bag or two so less, so Rkillings suggestion is good... I got mine for $26 a bag shipped and thought that was a pretty good deal back them. You can get them here for $25 a bag and free shipping: http://www.aquariumplants.com/Eco_Complete_Aquarium_Substrate_p/eco.htm

I would not mix with gravel. Like pouring water in your wine IMO...

Sounds like your are in for some fun! :)

I called three local places. None of them sell 10 lb tanks. They'll refill then, but won't sell them. I found a place online where I can get a 20 lb tank for about $70 shipped. Still working on pricing 8-9 bags of eco-complete. The shipping seems to be a killer.

The link in my last post is Eco-Complete for $25 a bag and FREE SHIPPING. Also - while the 20lb is tempting - it is highly unlikely it will be usable under your tank. The 10lb they sell on that same website - aquariumplants.com - is also $70 - but will be more likely to fit your setup well.

HTH

You can NOT lay a CO2 tank on it's side. You will have liquid CO2 enter the regulator. Not a good thing.

EDIT: 25 bucks with free shipping is a nice price, but with the link I posted, I can get 10 bags (which I did) for 235.89 with shipping. So 23.59 a bag shipped. If you search the internet, you can find a 15% off coupon and lower that price to 202.91 shipped or 20.29 a bag shipped.

If you're really looking to save money, you might be better off going with something other than a specialty aquarium substrate. For instance both Turface MVP and Pool Filter Sand are excellant options and only cost $8-10 for a 50lbs bag. Granted these don't come preloaded with nutrients, but after about a year the EcoComplete will be exhaused of those nutrients too. Turface MVP in particular has a high CEC value which means its good at storing nutrients and then slowly releasing them back into the aquarium. You can give a new substrate a kick start by using mulm from an established aquarium, peat (I think, double check that one), or root tabs.

I appreciate all the help. I was unable to find a 10 lb tank locally and I think I can get a 20 lb tank for about the same price as a 10 lb one is on line. Is the regulator I linked to a good regulator? I had tried sand before in another tank and wasn't pleased with the results. It was very hard to keep clean.

Even though you don't like sand you may still like the Turface MVP. It's very similar in appearance to Flourite, but doesn't require all the rinsing. I got the charcoal grey, but there are other options too.

I'm with Joy on the Turface. For the price, you simply can't find anything that will grow plants better. It is a bit on the lightweight side compared to other substrates, but plants just love the stuff.

As for the CO2 tank, you can easily run tubing long distances if you want to hide it in a storage room or other out of the way place *this coming from a guy who has CO2 tubing running through his wall to his patio and under the rug and across the room* :)

Purrbox said:
Even though you don't like sand you may still like the Turface MVP. It's very similar in appearance to Flourite, but doesn't require all the rinsing. I got the charcoal grey, but there are other options too.

Where's the best place to find some? I may at least eyeball it before I pull a trigger on everything. I was into the eco-complete b/c I was told it was better than just adding flourite and I'd never have to use plant tabs or anything like that.

Side note: prices for the eco-complete shipped (6 bags):

Fosters & Smith - $145
Aquariumplants.com - $150
Big Als - $175

Go to the Read This First Sticky. In that thread, there's a link to one on Substrates. You'll find a link to the manufacture in one of my posts. Email them and they'll respond (less than 24hrs when I emailed them) with a list of places that carry their products in your area.

Purrbox said:
Go to the Read This First Sticky. In that thread, there's a link to one on Substrates. You'll find a link to the manufacture in one of my posts. Email them and they'll respond (less than 24hrs when I emailed them) with a list of places that carry their products in your area.

Thanks for that info. I read that sticky after I made my last post. I've narrowed it down to 2 substrates - Eco-complete or this turface stuff. Eco-complete appeals to me more on the surface b/c it comes with nutrients and things that are supposed to promote plant growth and will never have to be renewed/replaced. I supposed I should mention I'm hoping to grow dwarf hairgrass or something similar to it. Will both of these substrates work for this?

Both should be fine with hairgrass, although I understand that EcoComplete is supposed to be slightly better for fine rooting plants. Really a slight dusting of mulm or peat moss before adding Turface MVP would go a long way towards making up the difference for not being packaged with nutrients up front.

Back
Top Bottom