Help with a dirted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
To all you experienced dirted tank friends.
I typed the following as a reply in a separate post but by the time I got it typed the discussion moved on and wasn't relevant anymore. If this procedure is right, my question is how soon could I put my fish back in and they be safe?
"I've read posts in here describing that you get organic potting soil, sift or pick out any big chunks, lay in about a 1 1/2 to 2" layer. You wet the soil until not quite covered with water and press it down. Then you cap it with sand or Eco or gravel, etc. about 1 to 1 1/2". Then SLOWLY pour in your water using a bowl or layer of something to break up the flow. Then you do a 80 to 90% WC to get the cloudiest water out (Is one WC enough?), then run your filter until it clears completely. Then clean your filter and you're good to go.
All you experienced dirters out there please say if this is correct and do you have additional tips? I am about to change out the substrate in my 29g and it has fish in it. I'll be putting them in a 20g tub with heat and airstone during the change out but would not want to keep them out of the tank for more than 24 hrs. Is it possible to do a dirted tank and get things suitable for the fish in that timeframe? If not, I'll just put in the Eco fine grade by itself. Your help will be greatly appreciated." Thanks, OS.

When I set up my 100g, I added too much water to my dirt, and took a lot if work to get it out, so go super slow on that step. You want to be able to pack it without any water getting squeezed out. Too little water and your trapping too much air, too much and it's soupy and the cap will sink/mix too much.

Did not add water yet. I took my plants out of my 55g, placed my big root system plants in, like swords and such, roughly where I wanted them, and put my sand cap in place.

Still no water, I grabbed my medium plants like crypts and put those in the sand.

Then I added maybe 4 inches of water slowly across my driftwood for minimal sand disturbance. That's when I put my smallest plants in like dwarf sag. Then filled the tank slowly.

Everything was clear, no major clouding, not really minor clouding either, and params were good, so I probably could have added the fish right away, but since my 55 was still up and running and it was late, I waited till the next day.

Never had to deal with cloudy water, so I have no experience there, but my biggest tip would be too add water to the dirt by the Tbsp opposed to the pitchers I did. ( joking of course, but seriously, go slow)

OH thanks so much! I would have definitely messed up the water on the dirt part. Also I'm not as nervous about the cloudiness now. I could make a sprinkler bottle like we used to use before the days of steam irons. (God I'm antique!) I'll feel a lot better about putting the fish back in after about a 12 hour wait now.

Back
Top Bottom