Help with a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies

Hello, so I've never owned fish but have gone to college and wanted pets. So I bought a 3 gallon tank and 3 male guppies, per what the pet store lady recommended. I conditioned the water in advance and used a bacterial stimulant. They started to die off day by day. They'd get lethargic and soon be dead. I replaced all 3 thinking maybe I got bad ones. I had also been feeding them three times a day per the food bottle which the pet store emplyee said may have killed them through over feeding. She then advised to feed them every other day. Within two days one looked really torn up. Missing a top fin and the back fin was missing a chunk in the middle. Around the bottom fin there was red streaking. The other two look fine. I took him back to the pet store and the lady said it could be a fungal infection. With the first 3 fish, I hadn't paid much attention to their fins before they died so i don't know if they were affected in the same way. I bought a fungal treatment anyways, just to make sure the other 2 stay healthy. But does this sound like fin rot or like my guppy may have been bullied? I read somewhere that you should keep 6 males in a tank at once but obviously my 3 gallon tank cannot sustain that. Thanks for replies

Hello, so I've never owned fish but have gone to college and wanted pets. So I bought a 3 gallon tank and 3 male guppies, per what the pet store lady recommended. I conditioned the water in advance and used a bacterial stimulant. They started to die off day by day. They'd get lethargic and soon be dead. I replaced all 3 thinking maybe I got bad ones. I had also been feeding them three times a day per the food bottle which the pet store emplyee said may have killed them through over feeding. She then advised to feed them every other day. Within two days one looked really torn up. Missing a top fin and the back fin was missing a chunk in the middle. Around the bottom fin there was red streaking. The other two look fine. I took him back to the pet store and the lady said it could be a fungal infection. With the first 3 fish, I hadn't paid much attention to their fins before they died so i don't know if they were affected in the same way. I bought a fungal treatment anyways, just to make sure the other 2 stay healthy. But does this sound like fin rot or like my guppy may have been bullied? I read somewhere that you should keep 6 males in a tank at once but obviously my 3 gallon tank cannot sustain that. Thanks for replies

Fire your fish store lady and read up on cycling the tank. There is a sticky thread in this forum about how to cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I read about cycling but I've had the water tested multiple times and theg said the levels showed no abnormalities.

Hey alysegonz. What was your readings. How long did it take for them to die. Also might be worth making your own thread as it may be a big thread

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I created my own thread. But they died one per day over 3 days. I went to college and just wanted a pet and so when I went to the pet store they recommended a tank 3 guppies and sent me on my way, so I just assumed I was good to go. Then they started dying. They then proceeded to tell me I probably just over fed them so to come get replacements. I did, and now one of those has died... I just don't want anymore to die. So any advice would be great.

Oh and I don't know what the readings were... petsmart offers water testing so I took it from them that they were fine

Back
Top Bottom