Help with a RCS tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,
I'm interested in starting a very small RCS tank or bowl. I prefer the bowl concept, maybe 2 gallons. I was thinking plants and a very small heater, no filter. I'd like to be able to sell shrimp to my LFS plus I'm not allowed a second "tank" and I really want shrimp. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Honestly, a filter is more important than a heater for RCS. I'd suggest a small sponge filter and air pump if possible.

Alright I'll definitely get one!

They're very cheap and will prevent your shrimplets from getting sucked inside a filter intake. :)

Sounds perfect plus with a sponge filter I can always toss fry in there

Sounds perfect plus with a sponge filter I can always toss fry in there

Not necessarily. RCS shrimplets are much smaller than ghosties and may become quite the snack for your fry.

Also as mama said, a sponge filter and air pump are the way to go. Check with some of the others that have them posted for sale for ideas on setups, plants, etc. they may also have plant packages to go with them.

On a side note, I would work on getting that ich problem squared away first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Oh yes I wouldn't start a new tank without fixing the ich. I was meaning to put fry in for maybe a day or two- not long. And yes I would put a sponge filter in for sure as mama said.

Not necessarily. RCS shrimplets are much smaller than ghosties and may become quite the snack for your fry.

Also as mama said, a sponge filter and air pump are the way to go. Check with some of the others that have them posted for sale for ideas on setups, plants, etc. they may also have plant packages to go with them.

On a side note, I would work on getting that ich problem squared away first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
I agree with this. If you are going to do an rcs setup, I would suggest keeping it species-only.

I raise some of my fry in 5 gal buckets half full with airstones. I do 95% daily water changes on the buckets. You don't necessarily need a tank to raise fry, and a cycled filter really doesn't matter given the bioload if you're willing to pony up the effort to change enough water. [emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom